UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65542  
Subject: X-Post: Macbook Air to TV help Date: 10/12/2012 6:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I posted this on the Apple stock board by mistake but Steven pointed me to the right place.

I've searched for this but have not been very successful. The only things I found were how to "mirror" the display and that's not what I want to do.

What I have is a Macbook Air and a MiniDisplay Port-to-HDMI cable. I want to output picture and sound to the television via that cable so I can watch NFL GamePass on my 42" television but the only thing I've been able to do is to "mirror" the display. That doesn't send the sound to the television and the display settings (resolution) aren't optimal.

The cable supports both display and sound according to the documentation that came with it.

Anyone have any tips on how best to do this? Is there another way aside from "mirroring" that I can use?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Calabogie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61088 of 65542
Subject: Re: X-Post: Macbook Air to TV help Date: 10/12/2012 8:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
While my equipment is somewhat different than yours, I ran into the same issue. HDMI cables will handle both sound and video - but I was told by Apple is was not possible to send audio from my MacBook Pro to the TV with this arrangement. My options were #1 AirPlay to an Apple TV or #2 Get an audio cable from the MBP's 3.5 mm audio port to the TV. Both methods worked. I have found good prices, excellent service and high quality for cables and similar items at MonoPrice.com -- which is where I got the audio cable.

Of these options, using the AppleTV works the best in my view. Don't know when/where you got the MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, but returning that will go a ways to buying an AppleTV. In your cable is an Apple cable, taking it to an Apple store and swapping for an AppleTV probably will work.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61089 of 65542
Subject: Re: X-Post: Macbook Air to TV help Date: 10/12/2012 8:21 AM
While my equipment is somewhat different than yours, I ran into the same issue. HDMI cables will handle both sound and video - but I was told by Apple is was not possible to send audio from my MacBook Pro to the TV with this arrangement. My options were #1 AirPlay to an Apple TV or #2 Get an audio cable from the MBP's 3.5 mm audio port to the TV. Both methods worked. I have found good prices, excellent service and high quality for cables and similar items at MonoPrice.com -- which is where I got the audio cable.

That's odd. I was told by the Apple guy at the Exchange that since mine was new (bought it this year) that it would push both sound and picture through the MiniDisplay port.

Of these options, using the AppleTV works the best in my view. Don't know when/where you got the MiniDisplay to HDMI cable, but returning that will go a ways to buying an AppleTV. In your cable is an Apple cable, taking it to an Apple store and swapping for an AppleTV probably will work.

I bought a non-Apple cable at the Exchange for 30 bucks. AppeTV is not an option here in Germany so that's out for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Calabogie

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61090 of 65542
Subject: Re: X-Post: Macbook Air to TV help Date: 10/12/2012 8:56 AM
Recommendations: 2
Check the sound pref pane in system preferences.

When your Hdmi adapter is connected, you should be able to elect that for sound output.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61092 of 65542
Subject: Re: X-Post: Macbook Air to TV help Date: 10/12/2012 12:06 PM
After reading your posts and Steven's I found this
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10567?viewlocale=en_US

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61105 of 65542
Subject: Re: X-Post: Macbook Air to TV help Date: 10/14/2012 4:08 AM
Thanks Atlanta, I'm going to give that a try this weekend. I think the overscan option may be the trick for the image quality and along with changing the sound output to HDMI I should be good to go.

Calabogie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement