Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35804  
Subject: X:Com Date: 11/8/2012 4:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, just finished my first Ironman playthrough on Normal. I'll have to try one on Classic but man that seemed tough before. It's all about taking it slowly though. I'll probably wait a month before trying it again.

What a good game for any that like tactical combat games and a meta-management game.

Simon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFCandyMountain Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34929 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/8/2012 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How long does one playthrough of the game take?

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34930 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/8/2012 5:08 PM
20-30 hours? I don't really time myself and it's hard for me to tell. I leave it running and come in and play a few turns, maybe a mission, go away and come back as the day takes me near the computer.

Maybe less.

Simon

Author: TMFCandyMountain Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34933 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/8/2012 8:17 PM
Thanks Simon. I'll be picking this up once I finish Dishonored.

Author: Beerio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34934 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/9/2012 8:10 AM
I'm in the middle of a play-through on Classic difficulty. It is NOT easy. I wouldn't have been able to do it on Ironman settings (no reverting to old saves). I've had to reload a bunch of times, it's just too easy to lose your entire team!

I haven't even touched FTL or Walking Dead since booting up Xcom, it's that good.

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34935 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/9/2012 10:05 AM
I'm in the middle of a play-through on Classic difficulty. It is NOT easy.

That's my worry. I don't want a save-and-reload ad nauseum type of game.

I haven't even touched FTL or Walking Dead since booting up Xcom, it's that good.

Almost won an FTL playthrough last night but the hull was breached in the Oxygen room with a boarding robot there, so they wouldn't repair till it was destroyed. They all died. :(

You liked Walking Dead in the end then I assume?

Simon

Author: Beerio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34936 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/9/2012 10:14 AM
You liked Walking Dead in the end then I assume?
I enjoyed the first couple of hours I put into it, but I've not touched it in over a month I'm afraid! I am looking forward to getting back to it though....

Almost won an FTL playthrough last night but the hull was breached in the Oxygen room with a boarding robot there, so they wouldn't repair till it was destroyed. They all died. :(

So why were you fighting in that room????? Also - if there was a boarding robot you were probably not that close to the end no?

That's my worry. I don't want a save-and-reload ad nauseum type of game.

Well, it's doable, but sometimes when you have really bad luck and your three best guys get blown away right at the start despite being in full cover, it's tough. The trick is to not advance to contact very far at once, as you don't want to trigger more than one or two groups of aliens at once if you can help it. I once had two colonels in the same round get turned into zombies. Such a bummer....

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34937 of 35804
Subject: Re: X:Com Date: 11/9/2012 12:36 PM
The trick is to not advance to contact very far at once.

Yeah, you learn that pretty quickly in Ironman mode. I made the mistake once and paid for it. The first mission with the zombie-makers is the hardest (rescuing the hostages). I got VERY lucky on my Normal/Ironman play through in that when they first showed up EVERYONE could fire on them instantly. The never zombiefied anyone (not even a civilian). The biggest asset you have is a sniper with a great field of view and squad-look. Big guns help too....

Not X:COM related....

So why were you fighting in that room????? Also - if there was a boarding robot you were probably not that close to the end no?

2nd fight with the boss ship. I was taking a beating and jumped away. He'd left a boarding robot in my Oxygen room with a hull breach. Even though the robot doesn't fight the crew fight him before they fix the breach or the lack of oxygen. I could use the medbay to keep people from dying but only 3 and the O2 room only held 2 crew. It was a dance I lost before everyone died of asphyxiation (wow, spelled that correctly without the spell checker!).

I was doing so well too.... :(

Simon

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement