UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hotfool Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3078  
Subject: Xmas project complete!!! Date: 11/3/2002 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Not sure if anyone of you have heard of this.....

OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

Its a program sponsored by Billy Grahams Ministries -- His son actually runs it.

Sometimes called "Love in a Shoebox" ---

The project:

To get shoeboxes, wrap them in xmas paper and fill them up with EVERYTHING.

Then the boxes are shipped to war torn areas and poverty stricken areas in the US and given to children who won't have xmas presents otherwise.

We have to have them done by Nov the 18 -- so they can be in North Carolina by the first of Dec - so they can be shipped and received by xmas.

A couple of nursing friends from work got me started doing this about 3 years ago and we have slowly added to the number of boxes we send.

We started out with 25 boxes about 3 years ago......This year we are going to send out ----- FIFTY BOXES.

We pack them with anything and everything -- toothbrushes, toys, candies, soaps, combs, brushes, hair barrettes, toy cars. (there are some guidelines -- no war related toys, liquids, etc.)

I am excited as all get out to get this project done and get these boxes in the mail.

Project completed -- thanks for letting me share with you all.

Jeff
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 779 of 3078
Subject: Re: Xmas project complete!!! Date: 11/4/2002 8:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

Jeff,

Isn't that a great feeling?? I can only imagine what type of comfort it brings to someone who works in the medical field after dealing with folks at the end of their lives.

My DW's Girl Scout troop participates in this project as well.

Odee

Author: TMFDawn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 780 of 3078
Subject: Re: Xmas project complete!!! Date: 11/4/2002 3:49 PM
Recommendations: 0
To get shoeboxes, wrap them in xmas paper and fill them up with EVERYTHING.

If anyone is interested in doing this:

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.asp?section=Operation+Christmas+Child

TMF Dawn

Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 781 of 3078
Subject: Re: Xmas project complete!!! Date: 11/5/2002 1:57 PM
Recommendations: 3
A reminder to anyone fixing up shoebox gifts--make sure the items are appropriate for the age, circumstances, and location of the child!

I helped organize gifts at a women's abuse center last year. The gifts are both for in-shelter families and well as those recently out. I really didn't understand the microwave popcorn in boxes for 2 year olds whose mothers could barely make ends meet. And the toys with small pieces or labeled "over 3 years age."

These boxes had been sent from across the country and redistributed, so people wouldn't be able to say "oh, everyone in Oshkosh has a microwave" for instance (which would be true anyway). They could have ended up in Appalachia where some homes barely even have electricity.

Just be smart and go for the most accessible items.

Selphiras

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement