Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63808  
Subject: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/10/2012 9:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Should be read by all. Tim

http://boards.fool.com/thats-the-fatal-flaw-in-quotsupply-si...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63055 of 63808
Subject: Re: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/10/2012 1:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Should be read by all. Tim

Mercifully it doesn't take long to read, but it is the usual left-wing nonsense IMO. And nothing to do with this board, to boot.

That said, there hasn't been much to chew on lately, which maybe makes such OT posts more tempting. How about some CDN stock ideas?

I have never invested in Bombardier, but $6.5 bn seems like a small market cap for such an important company, with a chance of becoming seriously profitable. <8 times net income, is this a fair price?

At the other end of the scale, Gildan (GIL) has a market cap of $4.2 bn, 38 times earnings, seems a bit rich. Any ideas about why people think so highly of this company's prospects? Is it a politically correct company (keeping clothes manufacturing in Canada) but ripe for a fall?

Metro is a grocer trading at 13.5 times earnings, seems a fair price, but they also own 12% of Couche-Tar.d (ATD). Back that out (along with the dividends they receive from ATD) and you get a P/E of just under 11, a fair bit better than Loblaw's 14, for a grocer with a pretty good ROE., and it comes without all that debt that Loblaws has.

OK, it's not the idea of the century. Any other suggestions?

Regards, DTM
(TMF's profanity filter wouldn't let me say the last word of Couche-Tar.d without the dot - I guess I'm not keeping up in the profanity department because I don't know what the trouble is. Is it slang for retar.d?)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63056 of 63808
Subject: Re: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/10/2012 2:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
DTM

Clearly you should have read the whole thread to get the nonsense side of the story. }};-D

Author: jesting2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63057 of 63808
Subject: Re: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/13/2012 9:44 AM
Hi DTM,

You may want to dig a little deeper on Gilden. It produces the majority of its clothing offshore as evidenced by the following link:

http://gildan.com/corporate/company/locations.cfm

As far as being politically correct, I guess it depends on your interpretation. It has been implicated in some less than admirable employment practices in the third world, although I have never seen any concrete evidence of that personally so any investor should satisfy themselves before making an investment decision.

Bob

Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63058 of 63808
Subject: Re: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/13/2012 9:54 AM
You may want to dig a little deeper on Gilden. It produces the majority of its clothing offshore as evidenced by the following link:

http://gildan.com/corporate/company/locations.cfm

As far as being politically correct, I guess it depends on your interpretation. It has been implicated in some less than admirable employment practices in the third world, although I have never seen any concrete evidence of that personally so any investor should satisfy themselves before making an investment decision.

I personally have no issue with offshore manufacturing, it makes sense to me. I can't figure out why Gildan gets such a high price, as you say, they do their manufacturing offshore like everyone else. What do people like so much about them? Just curious.

dtm

Author: jesting2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63059 of 63808
Subject: Re: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/13/2012 4:34 PM
When you wrote the following:

"Is it a politically correct company (keeping clothes manufacturing in Canada) but ripe for a fall?"

I assumed that you meant it was politically correct to "keep clothes manufacturing in Canada", and didn't want to see you or anyone else labouring under the impression that they were manufacturing here in Canada.

Bob

Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63060 of 63808
Subject: Re: Xpost from METaR Date: 11/13/2012 5:52 PM
When you wrote the following:

"Is it a politically correct company (keeping clothes manufacturing in Canada) but ripe for a fall?"

I assumed that you meant it was politically correct to "keep clothes manufacturing in Canada", and didn't want to see you or anyone else labouring under the impression that they were manufacturing here in Canada.

Yes, you assumed right, and the correction is noted. I'm only 5 years out of date! : http://en.maquilasolidarity.org/gildan/announcesclosures?SES...

I remember their factories in the north end of Montreal, and my amazement that they could be competitive with their labour costs there.

Regards, DTM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement