Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58724  
Subject: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 2:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Eventually, when one applies organiztion to any area, things fall into line. Sometimes it takes a long, long time.

I am FINALLY starting to see progress in many areas and see light at the end of the tunnel.

My wardrobe is in good shape and just needs culling and charity boxing to make it fit in the closet (planned).

I am managing to get to work on time.

I am actually managing to get away from work at a reasonable hour.

My decluttering continues and it is getting easier to function around the apartment. I can see that it will eventually come together.

The finances are falling into a predictability and manageability.

My exercise is even starting to get regular and sufficient.

But that one thing... that one, annoying, impossible, niggling, nasty habit that JUST WON'T QUIT is my sugar addiction.

My diet is rather good overall. I get lots of fruit and veggies. I eat good fats and drink plenty of water. I take vitamins.

But I have not been able to control the sugar. Not. One Bit.

Come 2:30 or 3:00, no matter my good intentions, all hell breaks loose and I start shoveling it in with both hands.

NO MATTER how many times I decide that today is going to be different.

Well, if I can conquer all that other stuff, eventually this has got to fall in line too, right?

IT MUST.

MOI
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57306 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 0
NO MATTER how many times I decide that today is going to be different.

Well, if I can conquer all that other stuff, eventually this has got to fall in line too, right?

Yes, as you are working so diligently to get everything else in order, this, too will finally be conquered. Of that I have no doubt!

LWW

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57307 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 2:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
Try eating something sour when you get that sweet craving, like a pickle or olives. I've found that this works for me and these items are low in calories.
JK

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57308 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 3:03 PM
Vouch. Me too, exactly, precisely.

I haven't tried eating sour stuff. But what does work for me is switching. By which I mean switching my habits. I realized that in the last month I had fallen into the habit of going to get a drink in the middle of the morning and the middle of the afternoon.

Trouble is, it's expensive and, when I grab a cookie or Starburst to go with it, it's calorie-expensive too.

Once I noticed the habit, then I just observed it for a few days to see what I really wanted, versus what I was adding on because I was in the convenience store here at work.

Then I went shopping at the grocery store. I looked at various options in terms of calories and flavor, and made a few purchases that I rarely ever make. Specifically:

- Ingredients for homemade mocha mix to have instead of coffee -- instant decaf coffee and nonfat dry milk. Combined with cocoa, Splenda, and spices, it tastes better than what I was drinking anyway.

- Crystal light -- at least as good as a diet soda and no worse for me. Also, much cheaper.

- Granola bars -- half the calories of the cookies I'd been buying, more fiber, and more protein.

- Lentil chips and pretzel thins -- has the salt I've been wanting, and a cheaper and potentially healthier choice than the larger bags of I've been getting at work.

It's the solution may not work for you, but I think the process of watching your snacking to see what you can do to change the habit can be really useful. There's something driving the behavior. If you watch it for a while, it'll be easier to unravel.

ThyPeace, learned over the weekend that red meat (not salty) satisfied her salt cravings. Which makes me think it was a nutrient my body needed, rather than a salt imbalance of some kind.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57309 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 3:04 PM
Try eating something sour when you get that sweet craving, like a pickle or olives. I've found that this works for me and these items are low in calories.

That sounds just disgusting enough that it might work. (No offense. I just don't like sour.)

I like olives and I keep them in the fridge at work. I just have to develop the discipline to head toward the fridge instead of toward the candy dish with the chocolates in it.

I'll try!

MOI

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57310 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 3:04 PM
Oh....

And now that I'm halfway through the week with my new snacks, I find that I really want the drink at those midpoints, but the snacks aren't so important. So that'll be a shift for next week, to see how to revise that a bit further.

ThyPeace, slowly coming back into healthy habits after a Way Too Stressful summer.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57311 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/26/2012 3:06 PM
It's the solution may not work for you, but I think the process of watching your snacking to see what you can do to change the habit can be really useful. There's something driving the behavior. If you watch it for a while, it'll be easier to unravel.

Yeah, that's what I need. To unravel it.

I found that eating raw lichis kept me from eating the sweets. I ate a whole package from TJ's in one sitting a couple of days in a row. At least it kept me from eating the chocolates.

But they went out of season within a week.

I have been trying grapes next, but I keep forgetting to bring them or put them out.

Working on it!

MOI

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57313 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 9:27 AM
I think you might need to go cold-turkey to conquer the addiction. It will be extremely difficult for the first 3 days, but the cravings subside. I saw on PBS the other day one of the regular diet guys (there's Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Stenger (sp?), Daniel Amen, and Neal Barnard) and one of them said it takes 2 weeks to kick the sugar habit.

You can't do this unless you don't have easy access to the stuff that's triggering you. So get rid of it and don't buy (or make) anymore. That's just some common-sense stuff. If you have co-workers that bring it in--just try to avoid the area where it's locate and if you see it, tell yourself that someone just sneezed all over it.

You need to replace the sugar with something else, though. I mean taking something you love away and not replacing it isn't going to work either. Try to think of something else you might enjoy that's not going to make you go hog wild. For me it's my homemade protein bars, but everyone is different--you need to find whatever works for you.

It sounds like you're also stress- or emotional-eating--maybe just leave the area where the food is located just to get past the first impulse to grab it. Recognizing what you're doing is important. You need to develop different less destructive destressors. Some people use alcohol or drugs--many of us use food. It's all equally inappropriate.

One thing I would consider is that carbs increase serotonin and serotonin calms you down--so I would recommend not lowering your carb intake excessively (just focus on good carbs--unprocessed, unrefined carbs). Eating some carbs in your general diet will help with the serotonin levels so you're not overly vulnerable when you're stressed.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57314 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 10:44 AM
I also like hot drinks to get through the midmorning when I want a snack.

I'm curious if anyone has tried fasting at all? I've been reading some interesting stuff about fasting...for many it seems to involve skipping breakfast - which is pretty much the opposite of the conventional wisdom. I know I find skipping the occasional dinner helps me get a better handle on when I'm actually hungry and when I'm just eating because it's good or it's there or it's dinner time.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57315 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 12:07 PM
Recommendations: 4
You can't do this unless you don't have easy access to the stuff that's triggering you. So get rid of it and don't buy (or make) anymore. That's just some common-sense stuff. If you have co-workers that bring it in--just try to avoid the area where it's locate and if you see it, tell yourself that someone just sneezed all over it.

Well, this just isn't an option (except the sneezing part -- good one). It just isn't. The availability is there and there's no avoiding it. And I'm one for "You can't do this...."

You need to replace the sugar with something else, though. I mean taking something you love away and not replacing it isn't going to work either. Try to think of something else you might enjoy that's not going to make you go hog wild. For me it's my homemade protein bars, but everyone is different--you need to find whatever works for you.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I decided yesterday that what I need to do during my most vulnerable time (between 2:30 and 4:00 p.m.) is to eat WHATEVER and HOWEVER MUCH I have to in order NOT to eat the candy.

So I ate 5 figs, an apple, a banana, and a handful of raw almonds.

I consider yesterday a huge milestone in that I did not eat one single piece of candy nor one cookie or piece of cake.

Today I'm armed with baked sweet potatoes, cheese, nuts, apples, cherry tomatoes, olives and grapes. Whatever it takes to break the cycle, that's what I'm doing.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57316 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 12:08 PM
I meant I'm not one for "You can't do this if...."

MOI

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57317 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 1:00 PM

I consider yesterday a huge milestone in that I did not eat one single piece of candy nor one cookie or piece of cake.

Today I'm armed with baked sweet potatoes, cheese, nuts, apples, cherry tomatoes, olives and grapes. Whatever it takes to break the cycle, that's what I'm doing.

That's great! There's one thing I should've mentioned was that protein works as a natural appetite suppressant--which would help you pass up the cookies, etc. I don't see alot of protein in your snacks. Maybe consider adding HB eggs, cottage cheese, etc. to your list of options. For example, use the cottage cheese to make a veggie dip for the veggies (it's easy--cottage cheese + a little light mayo or miracle whip + dill + dash Worcestershire sauce).

I'm curious if anyone has tried fasting at all? I've been reading some interesting stuff about fasting...for many it seems to involve skipping breakfast - which is pretty much the opposite of the conventional wisdom. I know I find skipping the occasional dinner helps me get a better handle on when I'm actually hungry and when I'm just eating because it's good or it's there or it's dinner time.

I think you're referring to IF or Intermittent Fasting--I don't do it formally, but I'm a breakfast skipper by nature. Yes it does go against conventional wisdom of eating breakfast, but I'm a firm believer in do what works for you. I don't normally feel hungry in the morning, so I take advantage of that to be able to eat more in my other remaining meals. I read on an IF site (linked by someone on another fitness board) that men and women are different in what works best for IF--I couldn't find the exact link, but I think this is it in a nutshell:

Men generally respond best to the 16-hour fast, 8-hour eating split; women seem to need a longer eating window and shorter fast (try a 14-hour fast with an 10-hour eating window)

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting/appen...

From the above excerpt, it seems that's precisely what I do when I skip breakfast--so I've been IF'ing inadvertently. (note: I skip breakfast IF (pun unintended) I'm not hungry--if I'm hungry--I'll eat.)

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57319 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 4:35 PM

That's a step in the right direction! I do have a question: do you like spicy flavors?

I ask because I discovered Bumble Bee Thai Style tuna a few years ago and I have to admit, it makes a great afternoon snack for me. Especially on the days when I'm going to work out after 5:00.

It has a bit of a sweetness to it, with some afterburn that gives me a few minutes of not wanting to eat anything immediately after I have some of it. By the time I can taste anything again, the protein has kicked in and suppressed my appetite.

LWW

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57320 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 5:11 PM
That's a step in the right direction! I do have a question: do you like spicy flavors?

I ask because I discovered Bumble Bee Thai Style tuna a few years ago and I have to admit, it makes a great afternoon snack for me. Especially on the days when I'm going to work out after 5:00.

It has a bit of a sweetness to it, with some afterburn that gives me a few minutes of not wanting to eat anything immediately after I have some of it. By the time I can taste anything again, the protein has kicked in and suppressed my appetite.

I love spicy flavors and I actually love this stuff, but I'm supposed to avoid tuna and certain other fish because of the heavy metals. I have an inordinant amount of heavy metals in my system.

MOI

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57321 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 5:43 PM
I love spicy flavors and I actually love this stuff, but I'm supposed to avoid tuna and certain other fish because of the heavy metals. I have an inordinant amount of heavy metals in my system.

Bummer!

LWW

Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57322 of 58724
Subject: Re: XPost -- Just One Thing Date: 9/27/2012 8:41 PM

You're absolutely right, this is a huge milestone! I'm glad you're trying various things to substitute for the sweets. Another suggestion is to grab a bottle of water and walk a little bit. It doesn't have to be very far or for very long -- a five minute walk down the stairs and across the parking lot is probably plenty.

I suggest it because sometimes I am thirsty and my body doesn't have a clue until I'm drinking the water. The walk will help your body go, "Oh yeah, I do other things besides sitting at a desk," which can then help you realize you're thirsty, and then quench the thirst.

ThyPeace, not satisfied with her work snacks at the moment, but still eating them. Tomorrow I think I'll bring half of them home and see what happens with just one snack per day...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement