No. of Recommendations: 0
Xraymd -

I would be happy to come to your house and measure and create an autocad drawing. Or... you can measure and do it yourself quite simply with a program from Broaderbund (sp?) called 3D Home. I think it retails for about $40.00. There are other programs that are very similar, that are probably about the same price.

It's very easy to use. You pick the wall thickness, and then just draw you're walls in. It has templates for furniture, and stairs and windows and doors. I think the newer versions may even have landscape options.

You don't need a fancy printer to print things out. It will scale to an 8x11 sheet.

I think something along these lines would be much better suited to doing room plans than spending $200 for an architect drawing. I admit architects have their place, but room decorating usually isn't one that requires their skill level.

The program does have some limitations, but having been a CAD student I am pretty spoiled. I used this prgram for basic design work for my construction classes though, and it was quite adequate. I finally managed to get a copy of AutoCAD LT, so I don't use it much anymore. It does make quick work of a house plan though if need be.

Lady Ianna, would accept any donations to a poor starving design "wannabe" student of any more recent CAD programs than ACAD LT '97!

:)

**No I do not sell this program, nor do I have any connections what-so-ever with the software company, other than having used their program at one time in my life. **

Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement