UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TreyIII Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: Y2K Profiteering Date: 8/26/1999 7:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

Surprised to see that this board is new. Guess nobody goes for safety anymore. (Is my grandma daytrading MSFT, YHOO, and AMZN too!?)
Anyway, I think that there will be an upswing in U.S. gov't. bonds pretty soon as everyone seeks safety for the new millinium. What is the best way for those of us who want to put say $2,000 in this play? I am not sure that this will happen but I have a little money to gamble with. I am looking for something with minimal transaction costs. Any thoughts?

TreyIII
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 35345
Subject: Re: Y2K Profiteering Date: 8/27/1999 9:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Welcome, TreyIII. You have a very interesting supposition there. I suppose if it proves to be true you would not want to be in corporate bonds, because the company chosen could turn out to have problems. So you buy Treasury bonds--intermediate term thinking their value will increase and you can sell them later and take capital gains. But this game is difficult to play with $2K. I think you would need $5K to $25K to play.

With $2K, have you thought about gold, perhaps gold coins? If there is going to be a meltdown, gold could be the stuff to own (but only if you truely believe the meltdown will be severe.) And gold coins for example can be purchased for several hundred dollars (paying dealer mark-ups of course). They are a more manageable investment in the $2K range, I would think.

Author: TreyIII Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77 of 35345
Subject: Re: Y2K Profiteering Date: 8/27/1999 7:25 PM
<<So you buy Treasury bonds--intermediate term thinking their value will increase and you can sell them later and take capital gains. But this game is difficult to play with $2K. I think you would need $5K to $25K to play.>>

I was thinking this too. What I am looking for is maybe a treasury mutual fund with low transaction costs since I will only play from say October until February or March. Or some type of short duration money market fund. That would allow me to play with $2k, yet not expose me to a great deal of risk if I'm wrong. At least, not as much exposure as gold.
Thanks so much for your thoughts Paul. Any further comment on this post?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement