No. of Recommendations: 1
Yakers,

I'm in the same boat as you as far as time to go towards retirement (will hit 20 in 2005, but will stay til 2009).

I have a Roth IRA, TSP, and a regular brokerage account. I treat all three as 1 piece of a bigger picture and ensure my total mix is 75% stocks and 25% bonds (My personal preference). I would recommend you take a look at all your investments in their entirety (don't forget to include that nice pension either) and decide the individual mix based on the bigger picture.

Also, take a really close read at this publication:
http://www.tsp.gov/uniserv/forms/octax92-32.pdf

There are serious tax implications by taking withdrawals prior to age 59.5, to include a 10% early withdrawal penalty.

You also indicate you will be moving on to civil service after retiring from the military. I would roll your TSP into the CFERS TSP and let it keep going til you are eligible for penalty free distributions (but that's just me). But don't forget, even when you take distributions after 59.5, these are still taxable events.

Finally, I'll give you a reading recommendation. It's one of the best books on investing I've ever read.

"The Four Pillars of Investing" by William Bernstein. It's a very well thought-out book with outstanding information.

Good Luck,
Landog
(SMSgt USAF)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement