No. of Recommendations: 0
Only took nearly 10 tries in 2 different browsers before I finally got it to work. Server time outs, weird "oops" pages. It was as though Amazon was cursed tonight or didn't want me to buy this.

But I persevered and estimated delivery is Oct 16-18.

Can I last a week?

RM
Print the post Back To Top
Good for you and Hal!

Of course, expected from you is a full detailed report once the new amp is up and running. I mean detailed. Every jot and tittle. Each micro and macro. The whole shebang. Upstairs and downstairs. That’s the true payment to me and 1poorguy.

One point: once you get the unit wired and get to the stage of running the YPAO it may be a good idea the dogs wait outside while it’s doing its thing. First time I ran YPAO one cat hid under the sofa and the other ran from speaker to speaker yowling. Dogs I don’t know. Maybe they’ll just sit there and wonder what the humans are doing today.

MichaelR
Well, of course I'll pester both of you and any one else who pops in, with all the ins and outs and ups and downs of my new amp installation. Hal will possibly not even be home the day it arrives and if he is he's not going to want to hear me muttering to myself, or to him, I mutter to him and the dogs a lot, drives him nuts. ;-p

Unless the YPAO sounds like a vacuum cleaner or dogs barking the dogs will probably ignore it. I wonder how long set up will take? The Sony had nothing but test tones and decibel levels. At least I couldn't figure out if there was anything else to do.

I've read these new-fangled machines are a bit more complicated.

Good thing I know how to read manuals. Even electronic ones.

RM
The YPAO might bother the dogs. It sends a series of sounds to each speaker in turn, and there may be some high-pitch in there that bugs them. As I have puny human hearing I have no way to know for sure. It is startling the first time you run it, though. I had expected pink noise, but it's not.

As for flipping the room, you obviously know it much better than I. I mentioned it only as something to think about. If you can see how to do it, it could be worthwhile (IMO). But maybe it's not do-able. Having the fireplace behind you does seem unusual, unless your chairs will swivel around so you can enjoy it too.

1poorguy
I've seen this pink noise thing a couple times now and I have no idea what that is. I know I could google but it's more fun talking to you guys. Plenty of spaces for the dogs to run to, including outside.

For the heck of it I measured the width of the wall of sound and the space in front of the window. It fits. The space is 9' 8.5" and the WoS is 9' 4". DH is intrigued. But this is not going to happen (if at all) till next year because we need new flooring and we aren't going to move the WoS twice.

BUT I think I've got a few ideas which I may test out when me sister gets here at Christmas. While the boys are out hunting (it's a 3 month long season in MI if you do all the weapons, which they do) we can move furniture around to our hearts content testing things out. I'm not sure I can wait that long. I may try some of this on my own.

The main idea is move the sofa to that back wall. move the 2 chairs smack into the center of the room so the TV aims right between us. It's just DH and me till sis and BF get here and we can always turn the chairs if we need to, or just bring the wing chairs from the loft down behind our chairs..... could get crowded but we won't know till we try.

My only sound problem I can see is where to put that left surround speaker. Can't just stick it in the middle of the great room....

Damn, I love this stuff!

RM
Pink noise is all frequencies of sound at the same amplitude. Actually, wiki says it has the same "power".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

This was commonly used to adjust graphic equalizers. You would adjust the sliders until the display showed all bands at the same strength. You could, of course, adjust in other ways if you wanted (for example) more bass. But the intent was to help adjust the equalizer to compensate for the room. Modern amps have YPAO (or similar) features built-in now, and they appear to be more precise. So pink noise doesn't even seem to be a feature anymore.

If you can run wires in your attic you can put your surrounds wherever you want. Surrounds are generally above and behind the listener(s). Your Yamaha manual (when it arrives) will have a diagram with suggestions for placement.

1poorguy
No. of Recommendations: 2
Well, of course I'll pester both of you and any one else who pops in, with all the ins and outs and ups and downs of my new amp installation. Hal will possibly not even be home the day it arrives and if he is he's not going to want to hear me muttering to myself, or to him, I mutter to him and the dogs a lot, drives him nuts. ;-p

RM

Consider this: muttering is preferable to throwing things. And some of the best conversations I’ve had are with myself especially when setting up equipment.

Unless the YPAO sounds like a vacuum cleaner or dogs barking the dogs will probably ignore it. I wonder how long set up will take? The Sony had nothing but test tones and decibel levels. At least I couldn't figure out if there was anything else to do.

YPAO doesn’t take long to run. Each speaker is given a sweep signal (sounds like a whoop) covering both high and low frequencies measuring the speaker’s tonality, distance to the mic placed in the seating area and reverb time, the polarity of the wiring, the equalization of each speaker, and if the speaker should be set as ‘large’ or ‘small. All of these can be altered in the ‘manual settings’ of the menu but usually don’t need changing (except I brought up the center 2 dB because I thought it a tad low).

I've read these new-fangled machines are a bit more complicated.

The guts are yet operationally and in setup not as much as in the days when all there was were test tones and using a SPL meter to get the levels right. I have a test disc from Technics giving set frequencies and pink noise which I used with a Radio Shack SPL – haven’t touched either in years. Most satisfied with YPAO.

Good thing I know how to read manuals. Even electronic ones.

Yamaha has a reputation of producing excruciatingly detailed manuals. ‘All you wanted to know about the tweaking the amplifier but were afraid to ask’. Basic stuff is basic stuff but Yamaha even gets loquacious about that. But, then again, I don’t like skimpy manuals preferring the feeling I’m talking with their head engineers.

MichaelR
If you can run wires in your attic you can put your surrounds wherever you want. Surrounds are generally above and behind the listener(s). Your Yamaha manual (when it arrives) will have a diagram with suggestions for placement.

While the right s. speaker would be on that wall with the front door, the left would be another 15 feet or so to the left of center. Can the YPAO compensate for that? Otherwise I could always put them on the beam crossing the room, but then the beam would be between us and the ss speakers.

complications, complications.

RM
I can't really visualize your situation, but generally you want the rears to be roughly symmetric from the perpendicular bisector between your mains. I wouldn't bring them in much more than shown below, but you could always push them out (and further back) as long as you maintain symmetry. The YPAO mostly compensates for imperfect rooms (e.g. right side is a wall, left side is a partial wall with opening to kitchen or dining). Gross asymmetries in placement I don't think it could compensate well. It was interesting to see how it compensated my rears (one is near a corner, the other is backed by nothing - open to dining room behind, but next to the other wall on the side)

M---------------M
|
|
|
|
|
seat
|
ls-------rs
Yeah, I figured it needed to be symmetrical. Maybe I can hang one on the front wall and set the other on the far side of the fireplace mantel. Disguise it as an objet d'art.

RM
Just got the email. It has shipped. Delivery between Tuesday and Thursday!

WOOT!

RM
Advertisement