Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6729  
Subject: Re: How to invest $75k? Date: 10/25/2004 1:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
yar123: "So I have $75k available for investing and I've opened a brokerage account and I've been reading a lot and it's time to mak a move...

My thinking is investing as follows:

* $12k in 12 different Income Investor recommendations
* $12k in 12 different Hidden Gems recommendations
* $3k in 6 different micro-cap recommendations
* $12k in 12 different Inside Value recommendations
* $6k in a S&P index fund
* $6k in a NASDAQ index fund
* $15k in 1-3 REIT funds, including at least one that focuses on health care."

Upon first review, this made little sense to me because 12k * 12 = 144k, or almost twice as much the OP is starting with.

Upon reading the other posts, and further reflection, I now believe that the OP is discussing investing:
--- $1000 in each of 36 different stocks,
--- $500 in each of 6 different stocks, (total of 42 stocks to monitor)
--- $6000 in an S&P index
--- $6000 in a NASDAQ index
--- $5000 in each of 3 different REITS.

I suspect that the transaction costs will be too high. More importantly, I doubt that OP can effectively monitor 42 stocks, 2 indices, and 3 REITS. The time commitment to review 45 annual reports and the related quarterly filings thoroughly and timely will be daunting.

Just my $0.02. Regards, JAFO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement