UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Re: Moving to Canada Date: 9/20/2008 12:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yeah, apparently one reason not many people from the US retire in Canada is because Canada makes it so hard. There's some threads I found on early-retirement.org and there's one route where (these numbers may be outdated) you give them a 5 year 400,000 loan (interest free of course) that's not the only route but it's one route..

In my case it would not be retirement as I said but being at a place where there's enough money to retire just barely, but choosing to work part time..here in the US good luck to you trying to that and afford health insurance. There you might be able to live off of 4% of what's left over after the 5 year loan, if you're the frugal type. Meanwhile Canada gets my taxes while I'm there so why should they care if the income I'm paying taxes on is fulltime work, PT plus investment income or fully investment income..By being younger, pre-retirement (say 50) Canada's actuaries should hopefully see it as easy to say "yes" since it would be more years of my paying taxes before the likelihood of major illness etc, compared to someone trying to move there at age 60 or 65..

Aside..IMO it's not just being able to afford health insurance..that's the lesser downside of staying in the US..the bigger downside is that even if you have insurance, if you get something big like cancer, they'll go back and fine some tiny clause and twist is in an effort to not pay or not pay you fully...lots of examples of this, sadly. Sadly, the made-up horror stories about Canada's system (people there are still shocked to hear you get to pick your own doctor, etc, unlike many of us here)..so no matter who wins in Nov, in 2012 we'll (probably) still lack what every other industrialized country has, a public nonprofit 'medicare for all' which is what europe, japan, australia, etc, not just "those silly canadians" but everyone else has. Ok, fire away, I'm putting on my flame proof suite...I guess one positive thing about all the dishonest horror stories about Canada (or Netherlands or anyone else) is when Americans people believe it, I'll have fewer people competing with me in applying to Canada...not that I want to do that, I'll give us till 2015 maybe before giving up. Thanks for input and respect other people's personal choices. Wish one and all good luck in the FIRE adventure!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement