UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: brentvoss One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 50  
Subject: Re: Global Investing Date: 11/13/2006 10:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yeah, Buffett historically hasn't seen much sense in trying to "strut-his-stuff" in the international markets when he can find plenty of understandable value here. Well, times, they are a chang'n and Buffett is often seeking international assets: PetroChina, IMC, huge(at one time) foreign currency position, more foreign government bonds than US Treasuries, large utility in the UK, buying the securities of US companies in foreign currencies among numerous other smaller foreign commitments.
When I bought my Toyota Tundra in 2002, Toyota Motors stock was around $45/share. About 5 years later, it's $120. There were two reasons I didn't buy at $45. 1) It's an automaker 2) It's a foreign company.
Both categories are not known to be Buffett style. Therefore I missed something that I actually understood quite well: Toyota products are best-in-class and will continue to gain market share.

While not seeking foreign companies for my portfolio, I will actively seek domestic multi-nationals with strong brands and extensive foreign exposure. Future "eye-popping" economic growth will largely occur beyond our borders.

brentvoss

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement