UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756518  
Subject: Re: Fall is here Date: 9/27/2012 2:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yeah, I'm not so sure about this iOS 6 thing. My Sleep Cycle app is a lot more interesting now, though.

arrete - not so sure about traffic on Google maps (happy birthday, Google)

I haven't had too many problems with iOS6, just minor annoyances like the RXMindMe not actually reminding me and the Fox News app sending me notifications that are days old repeatedly. My biggest gripe was that I was all geeked for Passbook but it really isn't all that useful yet. The only apps I have that are compatible with it are Target and a new one called Gyft (I signed up and got a free $5 gift card to Sephora, which doesn't help me much as it's a make-up store, lol!)

Most of the problems I've heard are those with iPhone 5's having screen issues with apps that haven't updated yet (they just weren't fitting right on the larger screen) and, of course, the map issue. I use Waze for navigation so losing Google Maps wasn't a problem for me personally. In fact this morning I used Apple's turn-by-turn when my wife was driving me to work (she needed the car), other than the fact it didn't recognize my work address (campus addresses are notoriously hard to find on any mapping program, I don't blame Apple for that bug!) and thus I had to use Michigan Stadium (which it found easily, and which is about 500 yards from my office across a couple parking lots) but it worked just fine. The biggest complaint is from those using mass transit, no mass transit maps in Apple yet while Google had them. That and no street view, which I saw as more of a toy than a tremendously useful feature but others swear by apparently.

Apple will catch up to Google, it's just that Google has a seven-year head start at working out all the bugs in their maps (and they still have some of course, no map is perfect since the geography is constantly changing!). I'm not going to knock Apple for it too much. Sure, I did post a funny pic of the Burton Tower in 3D view where it looks like it's about to crush Cooley Fountain, but that isn't going to send someone miles off course, it's just a funny (albeit unintended) easter egg! I rather like what I've seen of Apple maps, truth be told.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement