UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 188740  
Subject: Re: Strategic design flaws & omissions Date: 12/31/2012 6:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Years ago, when I first got into computers as a hobby (late seventies), there was something of a debate about whether or not chips should be socketed or soldered. The argument in favor of socketed chips was that users could easily replace chips that failed, or that they wanted to upgrade.

The argument in favor of manufacturers soldering chips to the logic board was that soldered chips were much less likely to experience failures.

(As I recall, every single chip on the logic board of my first computer was socketed.)

Manufacturers and most customers would probably agree that a design that lead to fewer hardware failures was inherently superior. Over time every manufacturer moved to soldered chips, and most customers were better served by socketed. chips.

Getting back to your point number 3: Adding a slot for removable memory introduces a degree of operational complexity. Users suddenly have to keep track of whats on internal memory, and whats on the removable memory.

Consider the Microsoft Surface RT. It has an SD card slot, but the OS doesn't let you install apps on that slot. Imagine what would happen if a user removed a card without realizing that a currently-running app was on that card?

Even limiting the cards to data introduces problems. What happens when you're editing a document, and you remove the card?

Oh, you say, that's not a problem. The user should remember which apps and data are where. Sure, we can do that, but who wants to?

You can design a device that best serves the needs of average users or techie users, but its very hard to do both.

As evidence of the complexity introduced by such a simple change as removable storage, I submit this article:
How To Manage the SD Card on Android Phones Like a Pro http://www.tested.com/tech/android/2534-how-to-manage-the-sd...

I don't want to "manage" my device's storage. I doubt most users do.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement