Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: maniladad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24974  
Subject: yeast vs algae Date: 11/19/2012 2:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First time on this board. Perhaps someone can refer me to a previous post for the answer or tell me where I can find it elsewhere:
What are the relative merits of yeast and algae in producing various products?
Solazyme (SZYM) uses algae to produce oils, including biofuels. Amyris (AMRS) uses yeast for the same goal. Codexis (CDXS) uses yeast to produce ethanol and pharmaceuticals. I'm sure there are many more companies that are in the same general area of activity but these are the only ones I know (a little) about. It's tough trying to make investment decisions without knowing anything about the bases of the businesses. I'd appreciate any help from you smart guys here.
D
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rainphakir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24852 of 24974
Subject: Re: yeast vs algae Date: 11/19/2012 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi Manila

You might add Origin Oil (OOIL) to your list?

http://www.originoil.com/

OOIL uses algae to produce 'oil'. In addition, they're marketing their process as a 'clean tech' for cleaning up oil contaminated waste water, fracking water, etc.

I do not own it. No particular reason, though. It does interest me more than Solarzyme - primarily due to the 'clean tech' opportunity.

Good investing :-)
ralph

Author: maniladad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24853 of 24974
Subject: Re: yeast vs algae Date: 11/19/2012 11:53 PM
Hi Ralph, As it happens I just learned yesterday that OOIL existed. I'm interested to learn about it because it may be a competitor for both Solazyme and ABTech, a company that makes an sophisticated filter for removing petroleum and other toxins from wastewater. Their primary focus to date has been on stormwater treatment since urban runoff is one of the major sources of pollution of rivers and coastal waters but the application to fracking is a natural.
I still feel a bit insecure in trying to evaluate these biotech companies because I know so little about the basic science of yeasts and algae. Guess it's time to hit Google and Wikipedia.
Thanks for the suggestion.
D

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24857 of 24974
Subject: Re: yeast vs algae Date: 1/12/2013 1:37 AM
A great many pharmaceuticals are produced in large, pure quantities using fermentation chemical engineering once the drugs have been approved for use by the very slow moving US FDA. One result is than now, it is quite often for treatments to become available outside of the United States before they are approved for US use. This is true, even though much of the original research and development occurs within the United States industry as well as academic institutions.

The new Pharma drug development is now a long, long, often convoluted and risky process.

Kahuna, CFA
Venture Capital
Founding General
Partner 2012 - 2019
Kailua-Kona 96745

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement