UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: moghopper Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 10:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

All kinds of things involved in a Buffett-Style Retirement!!!

http://www.cnn.com/cnnsi/basketball/nba/news/2001/02/04/buffett_ejected_ap/
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 142 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 10:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
LOL

I love the concept of Pat Riley sticking up for JB. From the article, "I told Joe Forte (the ref), I said, 'Do you know who that is?'" Riley said. "I said, 'Do you mean to tell me you've never been a Parrothead in your life?' So that tells you where our officials are coming from. He thought I was insulting him. He wanted to give me a technical for calling him a Parrothead."

Classic!

Gekko II

Author: wycowboy2 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 10:43 AM
Now how in the heck did Forte even "hear" Buffet's comments, unless he wasn't paying attention to the game?

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 146 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 10:58 AM
EXCELLENT POINT.

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 147 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 10:59 AM
Jimmy Buffett, the Spike Lee of the Miami Heat!

hee, hee,

Gekko II

Author: Earble Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 167 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 6:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
So the consensus of the board is, it's OK to shout profanity within earshot of kids if you're famous?

Author: nukejohn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 169 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/5/2001 10:11 PM
So the consensus of the board is, it's OK to shout profanity within earshot of kids if you're famous?

I'm not sure where I saw anyone on the board condone his actions. The fact is I don't know for sure what he said, but I'm sure I would have objected to it. On several occasions I have been in the stands (with my sons) at a sporting event and heard profanities used. I have always confronted the guys who used profanity and told them in no uncertain terms that there are children present and the language wasn't appropriate. I have yet to have someone keep up with the profanities, but it might be because I'm 6'4" and 275# and can look mean when I want to.

A Meanlooking NukeJohn (who people used to think was a Redskins lineman when I lived in Herndon, VA).

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/6/2001 7:23 AM
Earble asked: So the consensus of the board is, it's OK to shout profanity within earshot of kids if you're famous?

Works for me... >:}

Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 177 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/6/2001 1:33 PM
NO!!!!

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 178 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/6/2001 1:35 PM

It depends and being famous has nothing to do with it. Being famous only made it (marginally) newsworthy. The bigger question is whether the ref should be a self-appointed nanny (unofficial surrogate parent) for the kids.

Definitions of profanity vary. Some people think "darn" is profanity. Would you throw somebody out because they say darn?

If a kid hears famous guy say, "Hey Ref, you're an a**h0le", I don't think the kid would be traumatized, but the offended ref might use that as an excuse to eject the guy.

Not knowing what famous guy said, nobody can rule on how bad the profanity was. The parents bear some responsibility for taking the kid to a place where emotions run high and profanity becomes expectable.

Was famous guy a jerk? Maybe. Were the kids harmed? Doubtful. Did the ref let his emotions cloud his judgement? Possibly. Did famous guy deserve to be ejected? Who knows but probably not. If parents look to refs to protect their kids, then shouldn't Refs give profanity warnings before calling Security to move a fan? How much power should we give the on-court authority? How far away are the Thought Police?

1HappyFool

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 179 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/6/2001 2:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
It depends and being famous has nothing to do with it. Being famous only made it (marginally) newsworthy.

Jimmy Buffett is a symbol, not a role model. I doubt that many folks in his profession would qualify as role models for our children. I might be wrong, but I think this Board draws on the spirit symbolized by JB in his songs, and not on his disgusting behavior as a private person in a public place. I was at a hockey game last weekend with my son, who is a senior in high school. The group to our left was engaging is some fairly vulgar chants. To our right, there was a father with his young son. Everytime the the group to our left delivered a message to the ice, the father to our right became visibly upset. I asked my son to pay attention to what was going on around us, and mentioned that this is why it is so important to think before he speaks, regardless of the setting. If I had not been there, I have a feeling that my son probably would have been chanting with the folks to our left. He got the message, however, and I have a feeling that he will think twice before he decides to use foul language in a public setting. It's too bad that JB didn't think first, because I tend to think that he feels like a complete fool, particularly because so many of his fans are parents who are concerned about this type of behavior.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 181 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/6/2001 2:20 PM

I sure didn't get that impression. However, you can't isolate kids from life. When my kids hear profanity we talk about it. Discuss how it is OK to be upset at things, but how you express yourself is very important and leaves a lasting impression on those around you. Also encourage them to let someone who is swearing know that they do not appreciate their language. If you think someone stops swearing quickly when asked by a football player type, you should see how embarassed they get when asked to stop swearing by a 5 year old.

I know I've been caught, specifically while driving. <grin>

InParadise

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 193 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/8/2001 11:26 PM

Only if you know the rules better than the officials.

buzman-who's dream job would be an NBA ref

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 202 of 381
Subject: Re: Yell At Refs! Date: 2/11/2001 12:23 PM
Let me jump in late and echo some of the sentiments of others. This board does not exist to idolize JB as a person. I have never met the man, and although I'm sure he is quite pleasant, the idea is to strive for what JB has tried to bring out in his songs. You don't have to be a JB fan to appreciate his goal of an easy going and peaceful lifestyle. The incident @ the Heat game only goes to show that even JB can have a momentary lapse of reason (see NukeJohn's earlier post). That does not detract from the ideal, however.

-Gekko II

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement