Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hallucigenia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 186  
Subject: Yellowstone supervolcano blows Date: 3/15/2005 8:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
No - not yet :-)

I guess you guys might be interested in the BBC's latest production :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/supervolcano/index.shtml

They presented it as a two-part drama, with accompanying documentaries, based on the premise of what would happen if the Yellowstone caldera decided to wake up. Pretty scary :-))

Obviously there was a certain amount of people getting blasted by pyroclastic flows and the like, but there was a lot more science in it than the likes of Dantes Peak, and the followup documentaries had a lot more - they'd commissioned some modelling of the aftermath for instance. Given its generous CGI budget, it must be a co-production with one of the US networks, I didn't see which, so it must be coming to a screen near you guys soon. The website should give you a good flavour of it though, and some pretty pictures to have as wallpaper :-)

H
[with my Foolname, I felt I had to put my head round the door here :-) Although I ended up going in a different direction, one of my lecturers at uni was Simon Conway-Morris - and it's always good to remember that sometimes things don't make sense until you look at them another way :-)) ]
Print the post Back To Top
Author: redbaron7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184 of 186
Subject: Re: Yellowstone supervolcano blows Date: 3/15/2005 11:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
one of my lecturers at uni was Simon Conway-Morris

He was one of mine as well! What year and College?

I hear my parents have recorded the show and documentary follow-up so Ill be seeing it when I'm over in August.

RB (MA MSc FGS, the MA: Churchill 1991-4)

Author: Hallucigenia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185 of 186
Subject: Re: Yellowstone supervolcano blows Date: 3/30/2005 2:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
Given its generous CGI budget, it must be a co-production with one of the US networks, I didn't see which, so it must be coming to a screen near you guys soon.

Answering my own question :

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/2005/docudrama.html
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/supervolcano/supervolcano.html

Discovery Channel, 10th April.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement