Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
Yep. Although I still prefer Bill's suggestion of you renting directly to the other roommates. But if you want to go this way, your son would report the income and expenses on Schedule E.

I would look at landlord-tenant law for the area.

Renting a room in your home to someone *usually* gives you a lot more leeway on landlord-tenant law than renting a complete unit.
ex. I can kick a boarder out of my spare bedroom for basically no reason without worrying much about losing a lawsuit. But if I want to kick a renter out of the other half of a duplex, I need to make sure I follow all the appropriate laws for evicting a tenant.

Hopefully there wouldn't be any reason to go down that path - but I'd make sure you have a clear understanding of the landlord/tenant laws and make sure it's clear ahead of time whether a roommate is a renter or a boarder. Then if you have to get someone out because of either they're not paying, or they're making your son feel unsafe, you know what your son can/cannot do and what you can/cannot do.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.