Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122216  
Subject: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 100
I

HAVE

A

PERMANENT

JOB!!!!!

Sorry about the shouting, but I'm very excited.

I saw the advertisement in Lawyer's Weekly almost a month ago and emailed them my resume. Then I emailed them again a few days later to let them know about a change in my work number (at the temp job).

They emailed me a few days later to set up a phone interview. I talked on the phone with someone for a half hour, and the woman said it would take a while to sort through the candidates, but she thought I was a very strong possibility.

The next day they emailed me to set up a two hour interview. The interview lasted three and a half hours, I talked with four different people, and one of them took me to lunch. I came home that afternoon, and learned that they had already started contacting my references.

I came home today, and found a message on my answering machine. They are sending me an offer package via overnight express.

The work involves environmental litigation. This is a consulting firm that does very high-level work trying to determine what a fair method of assessing damages would be. My job will involve document review and summarization. (Which are things I'm very good at).

One of the principals (it's a privately help company) has four geriatric cats. She was very sympathetic to the idea that I have to give Shadow an insulin shot every 12 hours. She doesn't like emergencies, and tries to plan ahead to avoid them. She likes to go home at the end of the day, and she thinks other people have the right to go home, too.

It's right on Harvard Square. Bookstores, bead shop, independent stationery store, Crate and Barrel, chocolate shop, bakery, all within a couple of hundred yards. It's a good thing they offer direct deposit, or I'll never get out of there with an intact paycheck!

After all this time, all the searching, going on interview after interview, wondering what I was doing wrong, and still struggling to find something, anything. After getting (and losing) one temp job, then being offered another one immediately, the battle is over.

I was laid off on February 28, 2003. Almost one full year of searching. One of my former co-workers committed suicide a few weeks ago after killing his wife and grown step-son.

My Cobra runs out in August. I can't get private medical insurance due to a pre-existing condition. This company offers Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

To everyone who offered support and kindness along the way, thank you. Getting through this period has been hard. It would have been many times worse without the friendship of the people here.

Thank you.

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement