Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122016  
Subject: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 100
I

HAVE

A

PERMANENT

JOB!!!!!

Sorry about the shouting, but I'm very excited.

I saw the advertisement in Lawyer's Weekly almost a month ago and emailed them my resume. Then I emailed them again a few days later to let them know about a change in my work number (at the temp job).

They emailed me a few days later to set up a phone interview. I talked on the phone with someone for a half hour, and the woman said it would take a while to sort through the candidates, but she thought I was a very strong possibility.

The next day they emailed me to set up a two hour interview. The interview lasted three and a half hours, I talked with four different people, and one of them took me to lunch. I came home that afternoon, and learned that they had already started contacting my references.

I came home today, and found a message on my answering machine. They are sending me an offer package via overnight express.

The work involves environmental litigation. This is a consulting firm that does very high-level work trying to determine what a fair method of assessing damages would be. My job will involve document review and summarization. (Which are things I'm very good at).

One of the principals (it's a privately help company) has four geriatric cats. She was very sympathetic to the idea that I have to give Shadow an insulin shot every 12 hours. She doesn't like emergencies, and tries to plan ahead to avoid them. She likes to go home at the end of the day, and she thinks other people have the right to go home, too.

It's right on Harvard Square. Bookstores, bead shop, independent stationery store, Crate and Barrel, chocolate shop, bakery, all within a couple of hundred yards. It's a good thing they offer direct deposit, or I'll never get out of there with an intact paycheck!

After all this time, all the searching, going on interview after interview, wondering what I was doing wrong, and still struggling to find something, anything. After getting (and losing) one temp job, then being offered another one immediately, the battle is over.

I was laid off on February 28, 2003. Almost one full year of searching. One of my former co-workers committed suicide a few weeks ago after killing his wife and grown step-son.

My Cobra runs out in August. I can't get private medical insurance due to a pre-existing condition. This company offers Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

To everyone who offered support and kindness along the way, thank you. Getting through this period has been hard. It would have been many times worse without the friendship of the people here.

Thank you.

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wrnglrjan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59917 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
the battle is over.

Hooray, Nancy!!!

It sounds like a great job, too. Just right for you. CONGRATULATIONS

Jan

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59918 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:34 PM
I HAVE A PERMANENT JOB!!!!!

Sorry, but there is no such thing.

Congratulations on the job though.

RJ

Author: sunnybiss77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59919 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:40 PM
I am so happy for you! This is fantastic news!!!

-Sunny

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59920 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:41 PM
Recommendations: 4

Sorry, but there is no such thing.

Pthblpthblpthbl!! ;)

Permanent means, as in benefits. Like medical and stuff, as opposed to temping.

Nancy
could have sworn that woman said her medical deduction was $200.00 a month for a family of three. . .

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59921 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:50 PM
Nancy:

Good things do happen (eventually) to good people.

Congratulations and best of luck.

Just remember - they are lucky to have you!

Christina

Author: kathy3023 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59922 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 6:54 PM
Sincere congratulations!!

All that looking for a new job is horrible work...so I'm glad it's over.

kathy

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59923 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 7:15 PM
Nancy, I know how much you have struggled, but you never gave up. Even when the chips were down and things looked bleak, you held on. And that's part of what makes you such a great survivor in many ways.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I imagine how thrilled you must feel. It's been a loooooonnng road. I'm excited for you!!

elizabeth

Author: Neuferland Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59924 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 7:30 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!! I also have good news!

Deannda
Will post in a bit

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59927 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 8:48 PM

Yay!!!

Glad to hear the good news! :)

Author: Shicali Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59929 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 9:07 PM
That's great news, Nancy! I'll betcha Shadow wonders why so much happy dancin' is going on.

Shicali

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59930 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 9:53 PM
Hooray!!!!!!

Good for you!

It's right on Harvard Square. Bookstores, bead shop, independent stationery store, Crate and Barrel, chocolate shop, bakery, all within a couple of hundred yards. It's a good thing they offer direct deposit, or I'll never get out of there with an intact paycheck!

LOL - that's how I survived working right a the 'four corners' of San Francisco: two blocks to Union Square, Embarcadero, Chinatown or North Beach. YIKES!!!

Congrats again (and again, and again)!

Onward!
Tamarian

Author: daFlufferNut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59932 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 10:24 PM
Nancy -

It has beem a long and hard journey for you - a number of really tough years back to back, but you have weathered them with grace and charm and have even helped provide forums for others to get support for themselves while going through the same things as you.

I can say without reservation that you deserve this permanent job and that I only hope they realize just how fortunate they are to get someone of your caliber (both professionally and personally).

Congratulations. I do not wish you good luck, because you will not need it.

Judy

Author: JELAMAR Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59934 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 10:35 PM
I am so happy for you Nancy. We were ready for some good news and I can't be happier that it is for you!

with love, jane and cats

Author: rychil Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59935 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 10:41 PM
YEAH WINDOWSEAT!!!!!!

Major congratulations. I hope this becomes the job you've always wanted! Enjoy! Celebrate! Party!!!

Ry.Chil

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59936 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 11:46 PM
HOOO-Ray Nancy! WAY to Go!

Can't wait to hear more about your work situation as you get settled in. Realizing, of course, that you'll have less time to spend here on line with us ... Oh, the sacrifices one must make.

I am SOOOO happy for you!

DP
doing workers' comp defense in Hartford, CT

Author: am4u Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59937 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/23/2004 11:50 PM
How wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know you.

However, I DO know what it is like to not have a job.

That is why I am so very happy for you!!!

Pray for your co worker who was not as lucky as you.

Pray that we all keep our jobs/realize how very important they are.

Again,

I am SO very happy for you.

God bless.

am4u

Author: hheuer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59938 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 12:04 AM
Recommendations: 1

Nancy, I'm so thrilled to read this! I don't know that I can possibly say it any better than da Fluff. You've been through some hard years recently, and yet you've got a grace and good temper that shines through. I'm so so glad that someone's recognized all the qualities you'll bring to a job (and Zug assures Shadow that you get *even more quality fussing* when your human leaves you all day and then comes home for shot time).

Congratulations, and knock 'em dead (figuratively, of course!)

Hilary
P.S. how's Mr. Shadow these days?

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59939 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 12:15 AM
Recommendations: 2

WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO! (shuffle left)

WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO! (shuffle right)

This is such great news!! (turn around waving hands in the air)

I'm sooooooo happy for you!! (shuffle right)

Congratulations!! (shuffle left)

Sounds like it's right up your alley and the people sound like they're pretty good, too. I mean anyone with geriatric cats has to be OK, right?

Judi
have to stop dancing, I'm scaring the cats!

Author: Kezzzz Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59941 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 12:28 AM
C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S

(((((((Nancy)))))))))

This is going to be a Good Year!:o)

KËZ

Author: oldaugie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59947 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 7:57 AM
GREAT!!!!!

Augie, Brandy, Bobo, Peaches and I all send our utmost congratulations!

WAY TO GO!

((Windowseat))

Augie
**Not liking unemployment since 1902

Author: OhIOwe Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59951 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 9:25 AM
AWESOME!!!

Sam, Scruffy and I are happy dancing for you. And, yes thank goodness for direct deposit. I know just the neighborhood you're talking about and it sure is tempting.

Congrats again and as someone else said here, they are lucky to have you!

skritches to Shadow -- hope he is well too

Author: kemlathrop Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59952 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 10:36 AM
Doing the happy chair dance for you, Nancy!!!!!!!!

Kate

Author: parger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59955 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 11:13 AM
YEAH NANCY!!!!

That is such wonderful news and I am so happy for you. When will you be starting??

They are really lucky to get you as an employee.

Author: bleplatt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59960 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 12:58 PM
happy happy dance dance :D :D

YEAH for you!!!!!!!!!!

bleplatt

Author: morgaine1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59966 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 2:46 PM
Hooray!

Sounds like a perfect fit. Congratulations!

cathy

Author: ponygrrl One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59971 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 5:50 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! The job sounds like a perfect fit. I'm so very happy for you!

pony

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59975 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 6:55 PM
Cool.

Looks like you got the highest recced post yesterday too.

Even Cooler.

RM

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59977 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 7:17 PM
WOO-HOO! Fantastic news! I'm so happy for you. You must feel so relieved.

Laura

Author: Beejayw1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59978 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/24/2004 8:06 PM
I came home today, and found a message on my answering machine. They are sending me an offer package via overnight express.

The work involves environmental litigation. This is a consulting firm that does very high-level work trying to determine what a fair method of assessing damages would be. My job will involve document review and summarization. (Which are things I'm very good at).

Yes! Yes!! YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!

(Got the news at lunch today. Couldn't be happier!!!)

Author: tlbate Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60075 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/25/2004 9:09 PM
Congratulations, Nancy! The job sounds absolutely ideal, and to have a principal who is also a pet lover is a bonus. I hope it turns out to be all that you hope for...and deserve.

Terry

Author: Shicali Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60081 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/25/2004 9:37 PM
How's your job going, Terry? Weren't you working some unbearably long hours for a while there? Have things gotten better?

Shicali
(curious)

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60082 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/25/2004 9:50 PM
Well, I'm not Terry, but we used to work together. I really miss her, btw. Nobody at my new job measures up to Terry.

However, I would be so bold as to suggest that now the hateful boss is dead and Cruella was fired, things are going very, very well for Terry. (I know this sounds awful, but let me tell you, what goes around comes around.) And I couldn't be happier for her!!!!

elizabeth

Author: Shicali Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60084 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/25/2004 9:56 PM
Well, I'm not Terry, but we used to work together.

I realized that after you left your job, but I don't think I was aware of it before then. Did you become Fools separately, or did one of you lead the other to this site?

Shicali

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60086 of 122016
Subject: Re: Yes!!!! Date: 2/25/2004 10:06 PM
Oh, no, we worked together for five years. And yes, I can take full credit for bringing Terry to TMF. I knew she was a natural!

We used to talk about the Web reports, how if one went on vacation, the usage on our Web site for TMF declined. Ha, ha, ha.

elizabeth

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement