No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes, and no - you can't convert that particular Roth as a stand-alone item. You convert it based on % of that Roth to your total IRA portfolio and have to pay tax on the gain based on total portfolio gain, and % of total portfolio you are converting.

If you are converting 100% of your IRAs, it's easy. If less than 100% of your total IRAs, it gets tricky. I've been doing it the past few years, and it's fairly complex unless you do it all in one fell swoop.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.