Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40756  
Subject: Re: OMG!1!.....<i><b>they're</i&g Date: 10/2/2012 6:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes, but within limits. The problem is prolonged T2D, without diet and exercise control, leads to pancreatic beta-cell apoptosis (death). Once that occurs, it is non-reversible and, basically, the same as T1D. When one gets to the stage of insulin-dependent T2D (beta-cell apoptosis), it's basically the same as T1D, with added metabolic dysfunction.

Darn tootin'

Here's a perfect case of you don't know what you don't know.....or more specifically, don't bother to think much about. I like to understand how stuff works (stuff I'm interested in, that is) but I have to say that I hadn't given T2D too much thought at cellular level on account of molecular biology is hard and a bit above my pay grade etc. etc. Anyhoo, dh sits on NIH grant committees a couple of times a year and a few years back he ended up reviewing a couple of applications based on the types of exercise interventions that were the most effective in metabolic syndrome, early T2D etc.

They weren't primarily ex. phys. based but I got wind of what he was reading because he kept asking me about things like VO2Max testing and lactate threshold (yeah, I know it's an old hat term but you can't expect physicians to know that) I strted looking at the references the would be authors were citing and, lo, found a whole other area I knew nothing about......the mitochondrial "perturbations" underlying T2D (evident, apparently, in young, lean, asymptomatic blood relatives of obese diabetics) Even had to have a tutorial on NMRS from the bro-in-law. Remember a while back I mentioned you shouldda got a gig in lipid metabolism......this is what I meant.

This is part of the little project I have going with my online trainer buddy.....not so much to spread the diet and exercise message to folk who already are symptomatic (they know already) but rather their young, asymptomatic relatives who're headed in the same direction if they don't get their act together ahead of time.

I sent the study link to her as "another puzzle piece" for her perusal and she was pretty interested also.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement