Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123161  
Subject: Re: Gifting stocks Date: 2/4/2008 7:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes, he is my dependent and will be starting college in the Fall. The funds for college will come from various savings and assets and I'm just trying to figure out the most tax efficient way of raising the cash.

Then you do have a decent plan. Since this is a potential 2008 item rather than a 2007 bit of historical scorekeeping, the taxes get a bit better.

For 2008, your son will get a standard deduction of $900, and another $900 taxed at his rate. And for 2008, his rate on long-term capital gains will be zero. The balance of any income will be taxed at your rates.

So if he has no other income at all, he'll get $1800 of long-term capital gains at zero tax, and the balance of any gain (apparently about $200) will get taxed at your rate. We'll assume that's 15%. So you'd get $2000 of capital gains for a total federal tax of $30. Not a bad result at all.

You will need to look into your state tax situation as well. It will undoubtedly be different.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Book Review: Dream Big
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.