Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, heavier oil will help with the consumption, but it often causes other problems. The lighter oil is not just for fuel mileage, but is also used as a hydraulic fluid for actuators, valves and such like in a transmission. The small passages are not always ideal for heavier oil. The VVT in your Mazda is a perfect example. Glad you didn't have problems, but in general I would not recommend to someone to do as you did for consumption.

For this car, plenty of people using the higher viscosity in both the V6 Fusion and Mazda version (same engine). The dealer, at my recommendation, is doing the changes, so don't see any damage on the horizon. 10-50.....and might be a different story.

Not recommending anyone start adjusting oil viscosity at random. A visit to bob is the oil guy will give you a pretty good idea of options when it comes to oil for specific vehicles.

No doubt oil use can pinpoint other issues (PCV etc). I did check other possibilities with nothing found and higher viscosity is an easy fix.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement