Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25275  
Subject: Re: Need better results Date: 7/23/2012 1:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Yes. I think my timeline is off. My money has been in several funds within this group over the last 20 years. It is just in the last 3-4 that I lost down from 120k to its current value of about 102k. It teeters between there and around 98k, never seeming to keep and build on any gains I do achieve.

Considering that you are still ~$20k down from your peak, I would suggest that you might want examine your investing strategies, and why/when you move money from one investment to another.

For instance, go look at the moves that you made for the last 3 - 4 years. What happened to the investments you moved out of or into before and after you made the moves? Would you have been better off not making the moves at all, making them earlier or making them later? How could you have changed your strategy in order to make the move when it would have been more advantageous?

If you are trying to chase returns by moving money from a recent 'bad' performers to a recent 'good' performers, you are selling low and buying high. That's a mistake that many people make, often to the detriment of their account balances. If you are making that mistake, and don't change your investment strategy, you are unlikely reach your goal of doubling your money in the next 10 years, whether the money remains in the 401(k) or is moved to an IRA.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement