UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Tastylunch Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Re: Name? Date: 8/24/2009 8:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Yes it does

So this will be part of the new "Fool School" basically?

It sounds like the Wiki would be a submenu on this new tab, basically the same spot in the current architecture as it is now on the Home tab. basically being more of a tool than a community. That's perfectly fine imho there are multiple ways you can achieve what you want. .

The only real downside on where it would be placed is that I would think it's growth would be considerably slower (contributors might have to be continually recruited etc), but that means it would also be much easier to manage/monitor so that may not be entirely a negative (certainly entry vandalism/inaccuracies is an ever present threat to wikis). There are pluses and minuses either way.

In that case I think a distinctive name is far less important than a readily understandable name. Something along the lines Fuskie's "Foolopedia" suggestion.

if it had been it's own tab or own site then I think a more distinctive name might be more appropriate akin to CAPS (cuz you might need [and benefit from] the branding punch to attract eyeballs and the potential community would be larger). Since it's a submenu the communicability of the name I think should take precedence since it will be treated/viewed as a utility by the Fool.com visitor.

" The reasoning behind this is that no-one knows they need an 'investing wiki'... "

I strongly disagree with this reasoning Jeremy, sites like investopedia and wikipedia would not exist (and be so popular) if people did not view the internet as a source of information.

What may be true is that current users and potential of Fool.com may not think to look for one at the Fool.com

When I first started perusing the Fool.com in 2007 I was actually very surprised the Fool did not have a dictionary/wiki/encyclopedia since the site is so new investor friendly. I think once people know that it can be found here you could potentially a very enthusiastic response assuming it's good quality and reasonably complete (which I believe it will be).

I do think the wiki once mature will prove to be a very valuable asset to Fool.com and to the Fool itself. It's nature certainly fits with positive public perception of the Fool (small investor friendly, educational, community driven, honest etc). If Nothing else it strongly enhances the unique "one stop shop" aspect of the site (this being the biggest content hole I can see in the site currently) and could keep Fools from wandering off if you know what I mean.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement