No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, it's possible to get at the money when you're younger than age 59 1/2 by using what's called a Section 72(t)
distribution. Once started, you can't stop it or change it until you reach age 59 1/2. It's all explained in this folder
at . Read that, and then
c'mon back if you have further questions.

I have a further question.
I want to start a Roth IRA to provide income from age 50 until I can withdraw from my 401(k) at 59 1/2. Do the same Section 72 rules and the 10% penalty apply to IRAs? If so, what are the alternatives? Can the distribution be evenly divided over the 9 1/2 years from 50 to 59 1/2 or does it have to be life expectancy? Would a basic non-IRA savings account be better than a Roth for the 50's?

Thanks, Rich
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.