Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121169  
Subject: Re: Tax Issues on Inherited Annutiy Date: 4/27/2013 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Yes, one inherited IRA into which I combined two of Dad's with a direct rollover. We are taking RMDs only from this account, as required by law. Frankly, we would prefer not to be taking any distributions right now, but the tax man want his share of Dad's IRAs. It is fully taxable.

What happened to the inherited annuity? I thought you said you rolled this into an inherited IRA and that it had an after-tax basis shown on the 1099-R.

Do I still need to file form 8606 if it is fully taxable? Not a big deal if we do, as an amended return is in our future either way.

You don't need Part I of Form 8606 unless something happened during the year that affects traditional IRA post-tax "basis."

When we tried to do a Roth conversion when it first came available, we thought it would be as simple as choosing only the IRAs whose contributions we had not been able to deduct. We are old enough to have started IRAs before Roths came out, and had some years where we could not take a tax deduction. Much to our chagrin it was way more complicated than that, and would have required figuring taxes for the conversion based on what percentages of accounts we had received a deduction for.

I assume in this paragraph we're no longer talking about inherited IRAs.

Now you are seeming to tell me that for the RMD, I can ignore the accounts I have not yet tapped?

I don't know what you've tapped and what you haven't. I tried to make it clear that you do everything in isolation. Inherited in one universe. Non-inherited in a totally different universe. This will remain true even when you reach 70 1/2 and have to start RMD's from the non-inherited universe.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement