Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes Phil your assumptions are correct.
1] I was NOT covered by a qualified retirement plan during 1999.

2] My AGI for 1999 was 33K.

However, Roy Lewis [TMFTaxes] stated the following in his message #39628 in response to:

<< Unfortunately, what I overlooked (as well as my TURBO TAX SOFTWARE to my dismay) was that my $2000 IRA contribution [which was made in Feruary 1999] is not
allowed due to my income being over $10,000. >>

Right...this assumes of course that you are covered by your employer retirement plan. If you are NOT covered by a qualified plan, all bets are off on the $10,000 limitation for married-separate filing. And this is just for a DEDUCTIBLE traditional IRA. Even if you are over the top of the income limits, you can still make your IRA deduction non-deductible.

The way I read Roy's response is that I am eligible to take the $2000 Traditional IRA deduction for 1999. Please clarify this for me Phil and Roy?

Thank You for all you help.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.