UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 134962  
Subject: Re: "Best conservative candidate" Date: 3/23/2013 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes, they go on and on about it every year, especially during the candidate breeding seasons. Their candidates lose, then claim they lost the general because Their candidate wasn't there. You'd think that just once, these political brainiacs would realize that if their candidate lost in their own Party's primary, they have no chance in the general.

While evaluating many of the candidates they love dearly, they are always cautious to poo poo anything that might be considered a negative. Perry is especially tone deaf in most of his grand statements. Hispanics for instance. While data showed Obama won Texas Hispanics by a 70/30 margin, Perry insists those same Hispanics love the freedom of free market business in Texas. Meanwhile, they can't protest Perry enough for his support of certain legislation.

Every time I saw Rick Perry in action last year, I was reminded of how unfairly I used the term Stupid in describing Bush. Perry was a new level of stupid, or perhaps, just the same old version that's been around for decades. I always expect to see Perry on a commercial holding a bottle of snake oil, or perhaps selling gold.

In some ways, I applaud Texas for being more fiscally conservative, nowadays anyway. But not long ago, the state was mired in huge deficits. Now, thanks to high energy costs, huge growth in sales taxes, and energy and business taxes as a result, they might actually have a surplus.

While Rush and others use the term Conservative as a weapon, many around the country continue to be confused as to what this term means. It's natural for them to be confused, as people like a Santorum and a Rand Paul use the term differently. Perry is not in either group. Certainly none of them can be considered Reaganesque.

The country changes every so often, as new problems pop up, new challenges, and maybe different solutions are needed to confront age-old problems. While so and so may be just the right person at a particular time, that same person might be the wrong person at a different time. This goes for all potential candidates. We know not what issues we'll be facing in 2016, or what the state of the economy or the world will be in. Hopefully, between now and then, people that feel up to the task, will present solutions, listen to others, and be helpful. I find no satisfaction in hearing some blowhard tell me every day how Conservative he is. It's a label, usually self-defined, and has no meaning.

So I agree with you Dope. Be a real person, not a label.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement