Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes you can, provided you have earned/taxable income.

Although you are technically correct, I prefer to state the answer the other way around. Particularly since they are asking about a 2008 contribution after stating they retired in 2007.

So I would say that unless you have earned income in 2008, you cannot make an IRA contribution of any type. If it turns out that they DO have earned income, then the rest of the usual tests for IRA eligibility and/or deductibility will come into play.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.