Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, you definitely can treat the interest as investment interest. However, you can only deduct investment interest to the extent of your investment income (interest, dividends and what proportion of your capital gains you want to include - but then those cap gains don't get the 20% cap gain rate, but are thrown in to the rest of the ordinary income and taxed at a higher rate). If your investment interest exceeds your investment income you can carry it over to future years and hopefully get the benefit there. So, bottom line, it pays to look at what your investment income is to make sure you can get a deduction.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.