UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757760  
Subject: Re: The Dangers Of Government Employee Unions Date: 11/23/2012 4:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Yesterday at TD dinner, I was probably the only conservative at the table. The discussion turned to Social Security going bankrupt. I said, "Well, Social Security should not have become the law of the land to begin with."

One elderly guest said, "You are dismissed!" She explained her attitude by saying that when she was 35 years old with three small children, her husband died. Her perception is were it not for Social Security survivor benefits, they would have been forced to sleep in the family car.

CC: Did your husband have a life insurance policy that named you and your children as beneficiaries?

EW: He had no life insurance; that's why Social Security was a life saver.

CC: No, Social Security was the last resort. Had your husband done the responsible thing and protected his young family with life insurance coverage, you would've received a chunk of money and not had to rely on the government to support you every month. With the same money your husband was forced to contribute to Social Security, he could have purchased a policy that would have protected you better than Social Security.

EW: At the time, we couldn't afford to buy life insurance.

CC: Every family's budget involves prioritizing. Instead of purchasing better protection for yourselves with your own money, you were forced to put some of your husband's earnings in a mandatory community pot. Instead of perceiving this as an infringement on your personal liberty, you see it as the government coming to your rescue. Do you see how you've been brainwashed?

EW: All I know is I could not have survived without Social Security.

The life insurance industry apparently has done a poor job of marketing.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement