Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ginger1236 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9947  
Subject: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/27/2007 5:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
Guess what I did at school today!!!! Bet you can't guess in a jillion years.

Broke up a potential prostitution ring. I am completely serious. I saw an 8th grader passing a note. I picked it up. I read it. I almost fell over. I could have just died. This cute little 13 yr old was writing about how the other night was her first time to do two guys. Of course, she also wrote about drugs and such, but it was that line that got me.

Everyone of our 7th and 8th graders got searched. A large stack of notes was found all written by three girls. Perhaps the most memorable individual line in the large stack was "Do you think he'll give me $50 if I #$%^ him? I need the money bad."

13 to 14 years old.

I'm just sick.

Ginger

Print the post Back To Top
Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8073 of 9947
Subject: Re: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/27/2007 6:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow. Just Wow.

For what it's worth, there's been something going down at my middle school today too. Lockers being searched, the police liason officer was in the office, a few suspensions but rumors of more on Monday.

Must be spring.

isewquilts

Author: TeacherH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8074 of 9947
Subject: Re: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/28/2007 10:16 AM
Yeah, I don't know what is in the air.

We had somebody's probation officer in on Friday following up a tip that one of the 7th graders is selling drugs on school property. We've searched his bag and locker several times but have never caught him with anything. But the swarm of kids at his locker and bag is a definite tip off that *something* is up. Guess we just keep watching him and hope the close eye is enough to deter him.

Author: ginger1236 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8075 of 9947
Subject: Re: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/28/2007 5:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Guess we just keep watching him and hope the close eye is enough to deter him."

Have you looked under the garbage bag in the bathroom garbage cans? Another good hiding place is to tape the baggie to the inside of their thigh. Inside his ink pens. In the soles of his shoes. In the cuff of his pants. If the ceiling is the removable tile type, in the ceiling. If he has long hair, wrapped up in a ponytail.

That's all I can remember right now. Needless to say, we do alot of drug searches at the alternative school. These little buggers can be quite ingenious about hiding their stash.

Ginger

Author: TeacherH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8077 of 9947
Subject: Re: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/28/2007 8:30 PM
You thought of a few we haven't checked.

The most popular one around here for a while was in the hood of a hooded sweatshirt, or better yet, in the hood of the sweatshirt of somebody who walked in front of you and you dropped it in to retrieve later. After hoodies were banned, they started wearing them with the hoods tucked inside so they looked like regular sweatshirts but had that handy hiding place underneath.

If only we could get them to devote so much effort and attention to classwork...

Author: ginger1236 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8078 of 9947
Subject: Re: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/28/2007 8:43 PM
"If only we could get them to devote so much effort and attention to classwork...'

Amen and Amen!!!!

Ginger

Author: clearbranch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8079 of 9947
Subject: Re: Yet another new thing. Date: 4/29/2007 10:23 AM
Recommendations: 4
I wonder sometimes that if we had open communication (and trust that there would be no persecution for their views,) if maybe we could have some type of dialog that would actually change their views on drugs and sex and actually have a positive effect on the problem.
I have had some very enlightening conversations with students who have opened up and let me in on a lot of the problems going on with them and their friends. I am able to provide some of the advice and information they so desperately need to help them through this very difficult time in their lives. They know that whatever they say to me is safe. They also know that I will turn in or discipline them if any of these "activities" are witnessed by me or I find out they are stoned at school.
Communication is the key here. But they have to have your trust, which is earned through what they see you do and say. Actions are very much louder than words. Sometimes all you need to do is just listen without judgment, they need this so much they will even trust a teacher because, like so many other areas of their lives, we are the only ones that "give a $hit".

The way most schools handle these problems is the same way the police and prisons attempt to do it. It doesn't work there either.

CB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement