Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrtThrwingMonkey Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 214229  
Subject: Re: Costco Special Dividend Date: 12/1/2012 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yet, the tsunami of announcements since the election makes it obvious that tax rates are impacting next year's taxable payouts (such as in the case of Wal-Mart or Disney prepaying dividends) and has prompted many large special dividends that, if paid out next year rather than this year, would have generated far more revenue for the Treasury.

Rational,

I think your point about tax rates changing cash allocation decisions is correct, but may be of only minor importance. I guess we'll see what major corporations do with dividends next year, and if they significantly cut dividends, or at least stop raising them, then the point will be supported.

On the other hand, the fact that companies like Walmart move forward the date of an already-scheduled dividend, for instance Walmart advancing its dividend, really says nothing about how future decisions will be influenced by the tax rates.

If anything, I am surprised they haven't just prepaid all of next year's dividends before Jan 31st, which they could do without breaking into a sweat. They could announce that dividends beyond 2013, if any, will be paid after due consideration of total return to shareholders, with alternative uses of cash (primarily share repurchases and debt drawdown, but maybe even reinvestment in their own business, or acquisitions) likely prioritized.

To put it another way, Walmart plans to pay out $1.35 billion in dividends on Dec 27th instead of Jan 2nd, potentially saving its shareholders about $260 million in taxes. But it could also pay out the March dividend now, and save another $260 million. Are they really planning on paying out the same dividend, taxed at 35% instead of 15%? (Of course I am referring to my poor* American friends, but even non-USAians may be partially affected by withholding taxes). If so, then this would be a case against the hypothesis that taxes have a significant impact on investing behaviour. Moving a dividend forward by a week doesn't count.

Regards, DTM
*I am not trying to gloat. While I think the results of the election are regrettable, we Canadians will have our turn in the doghouse soon, with the left-wing Liberals and NDP barking at the Conservatives' heels.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement