UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454750  
Subject: Yield hounds? Date: 12/13/2012 10:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I saw this mentioned over on Canada Gen today thought some of you might be interested? I wonder if there is just a pure ETF on the Canuck banks?

Tim

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/markets/stocks...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: matson15 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411365 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/15/2012 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/12/06/...

Actually, there are several ETFs with which investors can gain exposure to Canadian banks, a group of banks that are significantly less controversial than their U.S. counterparts.

While the iShares MSCI Canada Index Fund (NYSE: EWC [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), the largest Canada ETF and one that is heavily allocated to bank stocks at over 33% of the fund's weight, has lagged the performance of the SPDR S&P 500 (NYSE: SPY) year-to-date and over the past month, some Canadian banks have been sturdy compared to their U.S. rivals.

there's more

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411376 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/15/2012 3:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
there's more

matson

I don't buy bank stocks of any kind. Actually most of what I do buy when dropped on your foot either hurts or makes a mess. }};-D

I do occasionally buy some "interesting techies" as I've had some really good luck with a few of them, including a 14 bagger once. I sold it when they used their stock to buy a company that was larger than themselves and not really a good industry fit, good choice as they fell like a rock and I don't even know if they exist anymore.

Tim

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411379 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/15/2012 5:15 PM
...what I do buy when dropped on your foot... hurts...

Goal #1 for 2013: Figure out a way to collect enough gold, silver &/or platinum to hurt when dropped on one's foot.

;-)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411381 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/15/2012 6:00 PM
Goal #1 for 2013: Figure out a way to collect enough gold, silver &/or platinum to hurt when dropped on one's foot.

Probably work better with this stuff. ;-D

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/copper.aspx?timeframe=3m

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411392 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/15/2012 7:57 PM
...what I do buy when dropped on your foot... hurts...

Buying Gold and Silver Coins
http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2010/0...

(Your concern indicates to me that you may be interested in another entry on my blog:
http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2011/1... )

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411476 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/16/2012 6:19 PM
I wonder if there is just a pure ETF on the Canuck banks

I've looked pretty hard and haven't found one yet. There is a bunch of Canadian financial sector ETF's, but I haven't seen one that is restricted to Canadian banks.

Rip

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411478 of 454750
Subject: Re: Yield hounds? Date: 12/16/2012 6:36 PM
Michael Moore is NOT Canadian.

Harrumph.

Rip, who is

Incidentally, Michael Moore is not Canadian but he has several Canuck relatives. }};-D

There was mention of an ETF over on Canada general board that was IIRC 33% big five banks. I've been told that the best way to buy a Canuck bank is to just buy whichever one pays the highest dividend. Theory was that it is probably there because is has screwed something up and since they all wobble around a bit it will come back (Best bank is not necessarily best investment).

I still don't buy banks because I tried to read a quarterly statement from BNS after buying 200 shares of them once and gave up in disgust.

Tim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement