UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75616  
Subject: Re: Year End Results... Date: 1/8/2004 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yikes, you all sound like math whizzes (something I'm definitely NOT). And since I'm not, can I run my simple way of tracking returns by you to see if it makes any sense?

At the end of each calendar year, I calculate what my 'cost' was, that is to say, the net of all additions and withdrawals during the year, plus the 'cost' balance from last year. On a spreadsheet I then plot the cost at the end of each year, and the value at the end of each year. By comparing the two I get an 'overall' or 'cumulative' rate of return. So, if in year 1 I had invested (net) $1000 and at the end of that year had $1500 in value, that would indicate a 50% rate of return. If I did the same in year 2, ending with a cost of $2000 and a balance of $2300, my 'cume' rate of return is 15%. To calculate what the actual rate of return was for year 2 I take the $300 gain, deduct the $500 gain from year 1, and wind up with a loss of $200. So, according to my figures, my Year 2 return is a 10% loss. Is this a crazy way to do this--it seemed fairly straightforward to me ????

Anyhow, based on this calculation, my total portfolio return including annuities, 401K, IRAs and brokerage accounts for 2003 was 15.38%.

Note that this doesn't quite make up my losses of 20.94% in 2000, 7.05% in 2001, and 4.77% in 2002. As a matter of fact, my portfolio is still underwater with a cumulative loss of .83% since 1994. This is due to the fact that I had many less dollars invested during the gangbuster years (1994-1999) then during the bear years (2000-2002). For example, my 15% return in 2003 netted me double the dollars that my 36% return in 1999 did. Hopefully now that I have a lot more dollars invested, the market will continue to turn around.

Any comments on my method are encouraged, only gently please...

2old
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement