UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 743704  
Subject: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/20/2005 6:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
...more wonderfully delusional hocomania.

http://www.nofeeboards.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3579

Dory36 has banned me from the Early Retirement Forum.

Our community proved a point in the two days in which that board was in existence. Early on in the Motley Fool chapter of this saga, I asked intercst to allow us one non-disrupted thread per month in which to discuss the realities of SWRs. He refused that request because he had seen the same reaction from the community that I had seen when I first brought the Data-Based SWR Tool to the community's attention. There has never been a topic that has so excited those members of our community with a greater interest in learning what it takes to win financial freedom early in life than in further inflating intercst's already far-too-inflated ego.

<snip>

ES now has the only board that permits honest and informed posting on SWRs. That distinction presents him with a great opportunty to build this site by appealing to the largest segment of our community--the community that wants the focus on substance and that wants intercst-type posting practices to be put to an end once and for all.

To take advantage of that opportunity, he needs to ban Ataloss and any other intercst supporters who continue to put forward deception and intimidation posts on intercst's behalf. That stuff hurts us. That stuff drives the type of poster we want to attract to this place away.

</snip>

I don't know why I'm such a bad guy. Hocus's Hocomania continues to be welcome at the "Best of Hocomania" board on the REHP forum where a dedicated team of scholars and researchers are working to find a cure for this pathology. <LOL>

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

intercst

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LudditeAndroid Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226181 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/20/2005 7:23 PM
Recommendations: 2
There has never been a topic that has so excited those members of our community with a greater interest in learning what it takes to win financial freedom early in life than in further inflating intercst's already far-too-inflated ego.

Oh, the irony.

he needs to ban Ataloss and any other intercst supporters

But I thought banning people was evil, conspiratorial censorship?

Author: Windchasers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226201 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/20/2005 11:24 PM
Recommendations: 8
I don't know why I'm such a bad guy. Hocus's Hocomania continues to be welcome at the "Best of Hocomania" board on the REHP forum where a dedicated team of scholars and researchers are working to find a cure for this pathology. <LOL>

Although I only lurked way back then (when The Great Debate was all over this board), I did always wonder why he talked like you were in charge here. And when other people responded to his arguments, they were your stooges. Kinda feel sorry for the guy, though. He was treated pretty badly at times.

~w

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226204 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 12:35 AM
Kinda feel sorry for the guy, though. He was treated pretty badly at times.

And continues to be. Some people really need to get a J-O-B.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226205 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 2:03 AM
Recommendations: 7
Kinda feel sorry for the guy, though. He was treated pretty badly at times.

Perhaps. But his behavior got him banned from here, then banned from nofeeboards (but later reinstated), banned from raddr's board, and then banned from Dory36's board. That's the full suite of early retirement forums that I'm aware of. I don't know of an indivdual who has been banned from any of these forums besides hocus (I realize other people have been banned from TMF, but he was banned primarily because of the posts he made here).

He might have been treated badly, but you have to wonder if his own bad behavior had something to do with it.

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226208 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 2:54 AM
<He might have been treated badly, but you have to wonder if his own bad behavior had something to do with it.>

It is no wonder. His own behavior had everything to do with it.

After awhile, the argument that "it is them, not me" no longer holds much water. It almost becomes comical when such a person persists in using such a defense. If Hocus is to redeem himself, he really needs to take a good hard look deep inside himself. Until he sees that he himself is the root of his troubles, there will be no cure on the horizon.

B

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226209 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 3:46 AM
It is no wonder. His own behavior had everything to do with it.

Nonetheless, the majority of "content" concerning hocus has now to do with tormenting him. I would think a bunch of grown adults would have better things to do with their retirement years.

Author: FoolMeOnce Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226213 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 7:43 AM
Recommendations: 3
sykesix writes:

I don't know of an indivdual who has been banned from any of these forums besides hocus (I realize other people have been banned from TMF, but he was banned primarily because of the posts he made here).

galeno

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226222 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 11:44 AM
Recommendations: 0
I was banned for 24 hours at one time. I do not recall what I said though that caused the ban.

c

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226223 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 11:46 AM
Recommendations: 9
I was banned for 24 hours at one time. I do not recall what I said though that caused the ban.

c
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you said that we can't afford to reward the accumulation of wealth over the dignity of work.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226228 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 12:13 PM
cattleman22 writes,

I was banned for a week for telling the truth about Deceitful Dick & Dumbya.

intercst

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226230 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 12:19 PM
I would think a bunch of grown adults would have better things to do with their retirement years. - CC

You'd think but you'd be wrong, considering the highlight of my week is watching "That 70's Show!" - Art

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226236 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 12:31 PM

Lots of people have done that and weren't banned, it was probably because of the way you said it. BTW, I have no recollection of the event - when the heck did that happen? (I must have thought you were in CT that week).

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226240 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 17
Nonetheless, the majority of "content" concerning hocus has now to do with tormenting him.

It is always interesting to me that the people objecting to the treatment hocus receives never seem to mention the nasty things hocus says about others. See this from hocus, as an example:

That said, the dark vision of early retirement that intercst puts forward in his posts to the various boards is NOT the Dory36 vision of early retirement. Dory36 is following in the footsteps of many others in blackening his repuation on behalf of an individual who makes ugly just about everything he touches. The longer intercst remains with us, the more ugliness the rest of us have to overcome to get things back on the right track. Each post that defends either his SWR claims or his posting tactics makes things worse.

I wonder why, Catherine, you don't object to the way hocus treats intercst. If we add it all up, intercst has taken a lot more abuse from hocus than hocus has from the whole group. And let me just be quick to point out that intercst is not hocus's only target, but he certainly is the main punching bag.

I suspect it is because intercst has not adopted a victim's mentality. But to my way of thinking, that doesn't make it OK for hocus to continue with his hatred.

Hocus has many of you right where he wants you. He's got some of you seeing him as the victim. Poor, poor hocus. Meanwhile, he is free to say whatever he wants about others in the group because he can count on you to take the rest of us to task while ignoring his far worse behavior.

Hocus started it, and hocus continues it. People naturally want to defend themselves when he attacks them. The defense has been ineffective for reasons I won't bore you with. So those who have been attacked by hocus have turned to humor. I think that's a healthy alternative. As a proponent of healthy alternatives, I would hope you see the wisdom of that.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226246 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 12:49 PM
markr33 asks,

Lots of people have done that and weren't banned, it was probably because of the way you said it. BTW, I have no recollection of the event - when the heck did that happen? (I must have thought you were in CT that week).

Last spring. I said something about Dumbya wiping off his unit with the motel room curtains.

intercst

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226252 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:07 PM
I wonder why, Catherine, you don't object to the way hocus treats intercst.

Frankly, I gave up on "hocomania" a long time ago as the province of those who have nothing better to do than torment a person who obviously is on the edge. The whole thing is pathetic, leaving no one unscathed at this point.

From my POV, intercst started "hocomania" by giving it a name.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226253 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:09 PM
Nonetheless, the majority of "content" concerning hocus has now to do with tormenting him.
------------------------
It is always interesting to me that the people objecting to the treatment hocus receives never seem to mention the nasty things hocus says about others. See this from hocus, as an example:

I don't know why, if you're aware of hocus-history, you would want to read a hocus post. Trying to comprehend his theory(ies?) is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

Frankly, he gives me a headache.

tngirl

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226257 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:16 PM
Hocus has many of you right where he wants you. He's got some of you seeing him as the victim. Poor, poor hocus. Meanwhile, he is free to say whatever he wants about others in the group because he can count on you to take the rest of us to task while ignoring his far worse behavior. Hocus started it, and hocus continues it - tmeri

Hocus's purpose in life is to provide "duality". He is the ying to Intercst's yang. By aligning ourselves with one or the other we are simply adding one more label to the myriad of labels that we use to identify "self", which is ultimately why we are are here. - Art

Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226259 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:30 PM
Recommendations: 13
<Hocus has many of you right where he wants you. He's got some of you seeing him as the victim. Poor, poor hocus. Meanwhile, he is free to say whatever he wants about others in the group because he can count on you to take the rest of us to task while ignoring his far worse behavior.>

It reminds me of when some of the paparazzi stalk some of their celebrity targets. They keep hounding their prey with the intent of causing them to overreact. When the reaction finally happens on film, they collect a big payday and often say "look at what this crazed celebrity did to me...I was only trying to do my job".

Hocus has made a number of nasty attacks on those who disagree with him and has often played the victim when those he attacked decided to defend themselves. Incidentally, those that started out trying to ignore him only managed to get Hocus more riled up. From his POV being ignored is unacceptable. When he does get the reaction he wants, he then effectively plays the victim card to those who only see the end result and not all that led up to it (just like the paparazzi).

All of us have had people in our lives who we don't get along with very well. An objective person may not be able to determine exactly where the fault may lie when two persons clash with eachother. What usually does the trick for me is knowing the history of the parties involved. IOW, if person A has a long list of people they don't get along with and person B normally gets along with most people it is easy to see where the fault lies.

In Hocus' case the action of him being banned from each and every place he has gone speaks volumes to me. One usually has to cross a clear line to get themselves banned. Again, it is not a matter of him not getting along with a few posters. It takes a lot more than that for someone to be removed. In each case he claims it is other people's fault, not his. He clearly mistook the number of recs he got for some of his early posts as a referendum on all of his opinions about early retirement. I think most on this board are smart enough to not confuse such things. There are many poster here whom I disagree with about any number of things. My disagreement in one area does not prevent me from listening to and following their advice in other areas.

I remember how Galeno used to get under a lot of peoples skin with some of his political posts. I have to admit that he reached me a few times too (even though I also recognized that he was deliberately trying to provoke people, not unlike Hocus). While his views on recreatinal drugs and marriage differed from mine, I was able to learn something when he talked about some serious health matters. I also remember him posting a chart about the LT returns on the S&P. Previously I was aware of the average return numbers the index produced. Seeing it in a year by year breakout connected with me in a way that it never did before.

The bottom line to me was that I realized that even someone as divisive as Galeno could still provide some very useful content. The key difference between him and Hocus is that Hocus has not provided any useful content whatsoever since he climbed up on his one trick pony of SWR's. Despite many pleas from the board, that is all that he would talk about. If FI focused people learn anything along the way it is that you should strive to have as much balance in your life as is humanly possible. That ingrediant has been painfully missing from Hocus for a long time now.

B

Author: CatherineCoy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226262 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:33 PM
Hocus's purpose in life is to provide "duality". He is the ying to Intercst's yang.

I would say this illustrates how much they are the SAME--each obsessed with the other. Nuthin' "dual" about it.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226263 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:36 PM
Hocus's purpose in life is to provide "duality".

My purpose in life is to drill Teri Hatcher.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226264 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 1:50 PM
My purpose in life is to drill Teri Hatcher. - sykesix

How's that working out for you? Have you asked her out yet?

"Hi, I'm sykesix, I'll be your stalker today!"

I was always more successful with the ladies when I asked out women that were in the same league as me. - Art

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226294 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/21/2005 10:13 PM
Recommendations: 5
Last spring. I said something about Dumbya wiping off his unit with the motel room curtains.

Better the curtains than Paula Jones.

--fleg

Author: ARRazorback Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226303 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/22/2005 2:12 AM
What is SWRs?

ARR
a newbie

Author: sydsydsyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226306 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/22/2005 4:35 AM
Hocomania

Don't bother with it, it don't bother me. -Graham Parker

sydsydsyd

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226309 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/22/2005 8:52 AM
Recommendations: 4
What is SWRs?

ARR
a newbie

Safe Withdrawal Rate = ~ 4% for thirty years - if the future is no worse than the past. Which means that you need about 25X what you need to live on invested in about 70% Equities and 30% cash. You start off taking 4%, then you can increase or decrease it according to inflation or deflation.

Intercst did some big complicated calculations using data from the last 130 years, and in any given period, if the future is no worse than the past, 4% should be a safe withdrawal.

The problem with all cash portfolios is inflation. They just don't earn enough to cover inflation. Stocks traditionally have outperformed all other sorts of investments in any given period. What a lot of folks don't take into account is dividends. Dividends make up a significant % of returns on a lot of stocks.

I just keep my portfolio in index and bond funds, 70% stock funds and 30% bond funds. So far so good. I'm exceptionally lazy. Right now I'm taking out about a 3.9% withdrawal using the 72(t)SEPP withdrawal method. Intercst covers SEPP withdrawals at his http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com - Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 226312 of 743704
Subject: Re: YKW: Banning from dory36 board, 'A success' Date: 3/22/2005 9:19 AM
newbie:What is SWRs?

Please go to RetireEarlyHomepage and read the FAQ. That will fill you in.

SWR = Safe Withdrawal Rate - that amount that you can take from your portfolio each year in retirement with a given probability your portfolio will be intact for XXX number of years.

It is a very common financial planning tool, and discussed in detail in many works, and nearly all retirement guides (in one way or another).

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement