Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120826  
Subject: Re: What are additional withholdings? Date: 5/17/2004 3:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
You also mentioned being penalized for not withholding this dollar amount, which is incorrect.

I must be getting terribly sloppy, because I never meant to say any such thing. I thought I said that the penalty applies if you fail to prepay, through withholding and estimated tax payments, a sufficient amount. I've made numerous references to where one can find detailed explanations of what's sufficient, and no matter how much I'm goaded, I'm not going to repeat what those references say.

As I said, no one I know is having additional dollar amounts being withheld and are not being penalized. You also mention "it's the unusual situation that requires additional withholding.". I agree.

Whew!

The penalty is not broadly applied. Only to specific situations.

Huh? The potential for a penalty is there for every taxpayer, and the penalty is charged to every taxpayer who fails to prepay a sufficient amount.

Still, I'm unsure what line 6 of the W-4 means if I'm an employee having taxes withheld per my allowances.

Have you read Jeanwa's response, which said an employee might have a lot of income from non-withholding sources, such as rental income or interest income and choose to have additional tax withheld instead of making estimated tax payments? You could also look at the two-earner worksheet on the W-4, specifically line 9.

I just recalled a comment I ignored earlier, something to the effect that we weren't talking about self-employment. If you're thinking that estimated taxes apply only to the self-employed, you're wrong. Anyone with sufficient income not subject to withholding must make estimated tax payments.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement