Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You also should consider taking an "in kind" distribution of the stock from your 401K, particularly if your cost basis is low relative to the current value of the stock. You would be taxed only on the cost basis of the stock as an ordinary income distribution from the 401k. The cash portion could be rolled over into an IRA. Good luck, gopete
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.