UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21030  
Subject: Re: European Vacation Date: 3/8/2007 12:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You are about to get mugged by a band of zingari (it's a generic term largely offensive to a particular ethnic group... but here I use it generically to indicate a nomadic group that mostly steals for money).

Experienced this on the Paris metro. The car was standing-room-only when we boarded with another couple. Crowding in behind us was a family of about five people, including a very young girl carrying an infant in her arms. As the train pulled out, she appeared to stumble into me and I instinctively held one arm out to steady her. Just then my husband signaled to me frantically over her head and said, "your purse!!!" (He had just felt a hand go into his front pocket). I closed my arm tightly over my shoulder pouch. As the train pulled into the next station and the doors opened, the "nomadic" family exited and just then the American woman who had boarded with us discovered her wallet gone from her purse.

An immediate check of my small bag revealed one zipper had been slightly pulled opened, but it was too difficult for a quick grab and run. No way to tell which zipper yielded the goodies. Our companion had a more conventional handbag with a snap-close top and a large wallet just inside. She was an easy target.

I never carry a wallet when I travel. My tiny travel bag has multi zippered pockets-within-pockets. The ones deep inside hold cash and a credit card. Another one holds a passport. The outside pockets hold only loose change, metro map and ticket.

Always beware of anyone - old lady or small child - stumbling into you. On a crowded subway it may seem normal. It isn't.

Jeanie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement