No. of Recommendations: 0
You are age 51.

If you rollover into an IRA and then take Substantially Equal Periodic Payments (SEPP)based on life expectancy and a "reasonable" rate of interest (unreasonably low) until age 59 1/2, then you would have income tax on the withdrawal amount, but qualify for a penalty exception.

For complete flexibility, I would
-1- determine the amount of income needed (NEVER to be changed for 8 1/2 years) then back into the IRA balance needed to come up with that amount.
-2- Open 2 IRAs
IRA #1: Amount needed to fund the SEPP distribution
IRA #2: Leftover amount (gives flexibility if you need to hit it for extra cash)

You need either a CPA who is well versed in SEPP payments or an IRA provider who is well versed in SEPP payments. Some will tell you that a "reasonable" rate of interest is anything you want. There are IRS Private letter rulings indicating differently. Must be within 20% plus/minus of some Treasury rate.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.