Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You are close on how to calc the tax gain on the sale of your rental property. The taxable gain is the net difference between the net sales price (gross sales price less commissions, less any closing costs you paid for the buyer) less the tax basis. The tax basis is: Original cost PLUS closing costs not previously deducted (such as origination fees or property taxes) PLUS any improvements LESS accumulated depreciation. If the gain is less than the amount of your depreciation, it is all ordinary gain, taxed at your marginal rate. If the gain is greater, then any excess over the A/D is capital. And I assume that you have held the property for over a year, so the gain would be long term?

You can run through the numbers to see where you might stand, but you are right to contact your accountant for the final say so! Good luck getting ahold of her / him. It actually should be a little easier, now that the 15th is over......

Good luck!

p.s. Didn't you deduct the property tax fees as you went along? If not, you can deduct them, too.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.