UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: See Photo ID Date: 10/4/2003 4:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
You are correct. How do I know? Because I have had my card refused at the US Post Office because it was not signed. However, that does not change my thinking that I refuse to sign the cards and instead place "SEE PHOTO ID" on my card.

If there is a signature, it can be forged. If the criminal has no idea what my signature looks like, they can't exactly copy it. If that results in my card not being accepted at some places, then I will not use it at those places.

dt,

Have you read the fine print that comes with your credit cards? It says they are not valid unless they are signed. I think a merchants has every right to ask for a valid credit card when they are taking it for purchase of goods or services.

A card that only has "see I.D." won't stop it from being used by someone else. There are many places like gas stations and grocery stores where the card can be swiped and used without a clerk even looking at the card. It can be used online to make purchases. Many places don't even look at the back of the card and it can be used then too. To me not signing the card is a false sense of security. Beside if someone get's my card, more than likely they are going to have my drivers license and that has my signature on it anyways.

When our credit card was used by someone else, DH & I had our cards in our possession. We were contacted by the credit card company. There was no way we would have know that someone else was using our card until we got the bill. We do check every transaction on our credit card statement with our receipts. IMHO, that is everones best bet for making sure your card isn't stolen or used by someone else.

Utahtea

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement