UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: W401K Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 79083  
Subject: Re: v. annuity underlying funds Date: 2/29/2004 9:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You are essentially correct, What you have are not mutual funds. They are insurance company separate accounts. Most of the time they have the same holdings and same manager as the fund they are designed to track. On the down side, some fund companies use these Separate account portfolios as a proving ground for analysts that are on the track to be a portfolio manager. They are told, for example, 85% of your holdings must be comparable to the holdings of the fund they are trying to mimic. The other 15% will be the measuring stick for that manager to see if he can manage a portfolio. This can lead to a slight variation in performance from the actual fund.
TTRoberts states that these insurance funds lead to less turn over, I'm not sure how that statement can be proven as a general characteristic of Insurance Separate accounts. Curious to hear back on that one.

Overall, not much to worry about here. A few inconveniences that you already are aware of are the issues, the lack of being able to track it independently (newspaper, CNNfn, ticker symbols)In most situations, what you have is a fair representation of the actual fund. For instnace Fidelity Contra VIP, will mimic Fidelity Contra, Oppenheimer Global VA, will mimic Oppenheimer Global, and so on.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Gilead Sciences CC Thoughts
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.