Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fancifree Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55855  
Subject: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/7/2013 9:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
And asked to bring a dish. Appetizer, side dish, entree or dessert. Doesn't matter. What are you taking? Post recipe, please.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hockeymomof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54967 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/7/2013 10:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Dessert - always dessert!

Most recent party was a Christmas fete. I took two desserts..

One was Ice cream bonbons:

Melt together 1 1/4 Cups Chocolate Chips ?1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (measured when solid)

scoop ice cream and freeze scoops on parchment paper...i used a 2 teaspoon scoop.

When frozen hard, use a toothpick to dip scoops in chocolate mixture. It will set immediately. Set back onto parchment. When all scoops are dipped, store in freezer in a covered container.

The other was a Croque en Bouche:

I used store-bought small frozen cream puffs, thawed. I have made my own cream puffs for this in the past and find the purchased puffs to be nearly as good.

Assemble as below (recipe from cooks.com)

3 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
Pinch of cream of tartar
Place sugar, cream of tartar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. (Do not stir after this point.) Raise heat and allow sugar syrup to cook until it is a ruddy gold in color (345 degrees). Remove from heat and place in a large pan containing boiling water to keep it soft and manageable.
Lift each puff with tongs and dip the unpierced side into the syrup. Place syrup side down on a large round serving platter on which a thin layer of syrup has been spread. Make a round of puffs then another ring of puffs on top. Keep building in this manner to form a tall cone. Any remaining caramel can be drizzled over the cone. Be very careful when working with the caramel as it is very hot. Also, do not dip puffs on pierced side or the filling may cause the caramel to not harden properly.

I do not 'drizzle' remaining syrup, instead I grease a sheet of plastic wrap and drape over a paper towel roll. I line the floor beneath with parchment paper. I have a special tool - a plastic whisk with the tines cut off, but a fork would work too. Dip a bit of syrup onto the tool and whip it back and forth over the paper towel roll. The resulting threads can be arranged around the cone.

Both were well-received and a croque en bouche always makes for a WOW presentation.

Teri

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54968 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/8/2013 9:57 AM
Recommendations: 0
at least 2 things others would probably enjoy and so, at the very least, I have something to eat at the party.

--vegetarian broccoli salad

--a platter of gluten-free cookies

and/or

--a platter of chocolate-covered peanut butter balls decorated to match the occasion

Author: Leana Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54969 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/8/2013 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 2
Best.Chocolate.Sheetcake.Ever

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54970 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/8/2013 10:20 AM
oops--missed the 'post recipe' part:

vegetarian broccoli salad:

fresh raw broccoli, chopped
shredded carrots
baco's imitation bacon bits
shredded cheddar cheese

dressing made with:

lots of miracle whip or mayo (can use light versions of either)
squirt of yellow mustard
a little sugar (or splenda)

gluten-free cookies--probably ragalach which everyone looks forward to when I bring something--recipe here (I'd now substitute GF flour):

http://boards.fool.com/holiday-cookies-recipes-included-2817...

and/or giant bakery style cookies like these:

Peanut Butter Cookies-GF

or

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

http://boards.fool.com/my-gluten-free-recipes-30217140.aspx

For the peanut butter balls-I think this is the one I used for Christmas:

Buckeyes

1 1/2 cups Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
1 (12 oz.) package (2 cups) chocolate chips (white, milk or dark)
2 tablespoons Crisco Shortening

COMBINE peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on LOW until blended. Add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating until blended. Beat in additional powdered sugar until mixture, when shaped into a ball, will stay on a toothpick. Shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate.
PLACE chocolate chips and shortening in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until mixture is smooth. Reheat as needed while coating peanut butter balls.
INSERT toothpick in peanut butter ball. Dip ball into chocolate. Remove excess. Place on wax paper-lined tray. Remove toothpick. Smooth over holes. Refrigerate until firm

Drizzle with tinted white chocolate (using colors appropriate for the occasion)

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54972 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/8/2013 10:47 AM
curried egg salad

Here's a recipe that was in the NYTimes this week. It looks delicious.

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1014530/Curried-Egg-Salad.htm...

sheila

Author: BAMartin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54973 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/8/2013 5:10 PM
Recommendations: 3
Vegetable Tian is my go-to party dish. It looks beautiful and is also good if there are vegetarians at the party.

2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 russet potatoes, unpeeled
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
3 large Roma tomatoes
Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Dried thyme, to taste
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 60 seconds. Spread the onion mixture on the bottom of the greased baking dish.

Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash and tomatoes in 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly into a spiral, making only one layer. Season with sea salt, black pepper and dried thyme, to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top.

Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned. Enjoy.

You can see a photo here http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2009/02/vegetable-tian.ht...

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54974 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/9/2013 10:09 AM
Recommendations: 0
Vegetable Tian is my go-to party dish.

That looks divine! Great 'accidentally vegetarian' dish!

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54990 of 55855
Subject: Re: You are invited to a party... Date: 2/18/2013 7:31 AM
Recommendations: 2
GREEK SALAD
Chop and mix good tomatoes (so limited as to time of year-), cucumbers, green peppers, onions, lots of Italian parsley. Add a nice garlicky homemade vinaigrette and crumbled feta. I also add kalamata olives.

RICE PILAF
Sautee onion, celery, slivered almonds, and optional golden raisins in butter, add rice and broth and cook slowly till rice is done.

INDIAN RICE
Sizzle spices in butter (I like cumin seeds, a few whole cloves and peppercorns and a crumbled bay leaf), stir in washed basmati rice and saute' till opaque, then add water.

ALOO GOBI
butter or coconut oil
1 T cumin seeds
1 large onion, thinly sliced
------
1+ hot chilies, sliced thinly or minced
2-inch piece ginger, sliced thinly or minced
3-6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 small can diced tomatoes
--------
2 large potatoes, quartered then sliced
Medium cauliflower, chunked
--------
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
cilantro

(1) Heat ghee, add cumin, then onion and cook until translucent.
(2) Stir in chile, ginger, garlic, turmeric, salt, paprika and tomatoes. and cook another minute or two.
(3) Add potatoes, cook 5 minutes.
(4) Add cauliflower and 2 T water, cover and cook 10 minutes.
(5) Add garam masala and cook 10 minutes, until cauliflower is tender but not mushy.
(6) Sprinkle w/cilantro leaves. Cover, turn off heat, and leave 10 minutes.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement