Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You are responsible to fund (and not overfund) your IRA. You can unravel the situation but it becomes much more complex if the account has received dividends/interest. Individual arrangements can be made where by paying a penalty and continue forward. You should obtain IRS publication 590 for a better explanation.

Back to your initial question: My answers were quick but assuming you are well aware of the income requirements to fund an IRA as well as the AGI limits for establishing a Roth. If not I heartily suggest to check out the TMF link:

Hope this helps.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.