Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You are so right on in your answer (as far as what a pain it is and asking why I am putting myself through this) -- what a great response!

This joint account is with my "significant other." I can't say that I've got a "VERY GOOD reason" to go through this year after year, but then there are a lot of things I can't explain! Anyway, I HAVE been doing this for a number of years already. I just wanted to see if what I was doing was halfway "right." And no, we don't have equal amounts or even necessarily all the same stocks, so I've already been doing more complicated calculations than just taking 50% of all the gains/losses. It's not so bad with a computerized tax program, which is one of the things that drove me to start using one a few years ago.

You're right, I probably won't go to the trouble of issuing her a 1099B. I'll probably just continue including an explanation of what I'm doing along with my tax forms. (A better idea might be to change the account ID # over to hers, since she's in a lower tax bracket, and report it all on her return and at her tax rate!)

Thanks again and have a Happy Holidays.

Don S.

[[I have two joint brokerage accounts with another individual. Tax reporting by
the brokerage is done under my name and taxpayer ID number. ]]

owch...what a pain YOU'LL be in for...

publications are quite clear in how to pass on nominee dividend and interest
distributions (I'm to file forms 1099-DIV and 1099-INT for the nominee

Right...interest and dividends are easy. I can only imagine your next question...

[[ but I cannot find any information on how to pass on the capital
gains/losses. Is there a form to file, or do we just make notations on our
respective Schedule D's?]]

Here is the problem. ALL of the transactions have been reported to you under YOUR social security number. So YOU will have to report all of the transactions on your tax return so that the IRS computers will be able to verify gross sales information provided to them by your broker.

THEN you'll have to back out HALF of the sales/gains/losses...either one by one or as a group. Then the other JT on the account will be required to report their share of the sales. You should actually issue Form 1099B to the second joint tenant (for their half of the sales proceeds), but I doubt that you'll end up doing this.

I hope that there is a VERY good reason to go through this again and again, year after year. And what happens if the JT wants to make an additional $20k investment into the account, and you don't have anything else to invest. You are now no longer 50/50 joint tenants, and the computations are even uglier.

Which is why there are no IRS Publications dealing with this issue. It just isn't anticipated by the IRS. Most JT accounts are held by married individuals. And there are other methods that can be used for estate tax purposes to designate a beneficiary so that JT accounts are not required for other purposes.

That's really the best information that I can provide..
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.