Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BirdSlave Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Re: Words of wisdom wanted Date: 7/1/2002 10:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
You ask about things we encountered that we didn't expect.

I didn't expect to fall apart physically once I hit retirement, that's for damn sure! I took excellent care of my health all my life: exercise, healthy food, no smoking or drinking, and relatively good genes inherited, so why not plan to work at my beloved career well into my 70's?

Surprise, surprise! Along comes breast cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis, and out the window goes the bicycle riding, swimming and weight training. Along comes pharmaceutical expenses, surgeries, regular dr. visits, food supplements in addition to the lifelong vitamins and minerals used regularly to safeguard against these very kinds of problems. Out go the restaurant dinners, new clothes, periodicals, movies,gifts for others, trips to visit family, and every other possible luxury that can be seen as expendable in order to stay in the black. Then the market drops, and there go the savings. Out go the plans for redecorating the old apartment.

Than God for the darling birdies that keep one sane under adversity and allow one to laugh while one's world goes to hell in a handbasket, one's children lose their jobs, become alcoholic, or work so hard they have no time for visits to Mom. One has pets, gives them love, receives love in return, is careful of their health so as not to engender veterinarian bills on top of everything else, and then here come the cataracts and macular degeneration.

Who ever could have foreseen these health problems when one was pre-warned and lived a healthy life to enable one to avoid those very problems with which one is saddled? Why would one expect such things?
And yet, there it is: a life totally different than that which was
planned.

I say all this as a warning to youngsters. One must safeguard one's health, and at the same time, prepare for the worst. Set aside whatever is possible in the event of unforeseen illness, no matter how much
you are determined not to be a pill-popping senior! And if you are a smoker or a meat-eater, or don't exercise regularly,you will need that money for certain. As the saying goes, Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. Good luck to you in finding a suitable healthy pet, too!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement