No. of Recommendations: 0
You can avoid tax and penalties on the distribution by rolling it over into an IRA. But you must do that within 60 days of the distribution.

You didn't mention when this distribution happened, so that time may have already passed. If so, there's not a whole lot you can do. It would be taxable to you, and if you are under 59 1/2, you'll have to pay a 10% penalty on top of the income tax.

The Federal withholding should have been 20% of the distribution. State withholding will depend on your state laws - I can't comment there.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.